SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i own this 9000 cs 2.3, the license says its weight is 1415 kg !
my friends volvo 740 2.0 sedan, wich is bigger and looks more massive too, 'only' weighs 1301 kg !

it must be safety... although these vulva's are known to be safe too....

hmmm... i was just wondering... whats the difference between the two ?
concerning weight and safety.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Well looking at crash test videos, the 740 does very well, the crumple zones appear to be very effective... that said, real world, which are safer?

The sweedish insuance company Folksam voted the 9000 to be the safest car, period. That means it beat the volvo.

Real world comparison?
  • Saab has faster passing times which means less time facing on-comming traffic. (the 740 2.3L turbo only puts out ~160 hp... and the N/A only puts out 114.. which is kind of pitiful, im not sure of the european models though)
  • Saab has Moose resistance frontal design. Does the volvo?
  • Saab is by nature, more "sporty" so it will handle better in emergency situations.
While the 740 can probaly hold a but more luggage, beacuse it has the typical "Herse" design rear like most waggons, im my oppion the saab looks much better, and still holds a ton of stuff... and the extra 300 pounds in the saab is like having an extra couple people in the car... But good thing that volvo weighs less because its very underpowered.

Safety wise, i bet they're virtually the same, but i'll stay in the saab if we crash them into each other.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Sedans or saloons tend to be lighter than either their hatchback or estate counterparts and often stronger too.

The Volvo 740 2.0 of your friends could be quite a basic model in comparison to your 9000cs as well as being a lighter body type. Equipment and trim can have a major affect on the vehicle weight, pointless things like electric adjust seats add between 20-40kgs [depending on car type] and add nothing to safety or performance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm, true. i have no electrical seats, but windows and airco, so a lot more weight due to electrical stuff. and yes, mine is a hatch, while my friends 740 is a sedan, with a lot lesser options. and indeed a lot slower. 113 pk against mine 155 pk (hp).
plus abs ;-)

concerning safety, compared to the 9000, roadhandling of a 740 is like driving a carriage.
although i like the prehistoric design kinda ;-)

i feel safe in the saab, you don't see them a lot here in holland and i love my swedish girl.

and, appearently, the people who drive one, are nice too.
i've had lots of good help and tips, and good conversation on this site !
great...

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
ragtopcav said:
pointless things like electric adjust seats add between 20-40kgs [depending on car type] and add nothing to safety or performance.
Well for the sake of argument, its safer to adjust an electric seat while driving than a manual one

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
The 7s and 9s were pigs int eh day and still are.

The 9000 is a much more accomplished car I would say.

The styling on the Volvo isn't bad, but it is less than sporty. It is a box, and you can easily cut yourself on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
740 vs 9000

ACtually, I had the experience of driving a mid-90's 740 for the summer in Los Angeles while my 9000 languished in the garage in Ohio. There is just no comparison - the 740 was a boat, while the 9000 (of course) is the Ultimate Vehicle. The irony was that even though it was much slower and apparently lighter, it got about 20-21 mpg overall, much less than the Saab.

That said, I should note that the Volvo was an automatic non-turbo. Come to think of it, I am not sure I've ever seen a manual Volvo.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, this 740 is a 5 gear manual.
unfortunately, the most of all cars here in holland is manual.
people think, if you drive an automatic, either tou're not able to shift, or you must be a handicapped elderly. or both.

but nowadys, while traffic gets more intensive, and automatics get better, there is a tendency in getting cars with automatic trannys.

to me, automatic are a lot more comfortable than manuals, and they can do the shifting better and easier.

and lots of space and time to have a drink or a shake while driving ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts