SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9000 is rigged up with a trailer and I've been towing a small boat with it. I'd like to obey the rules and get some lights hooked up. Has anyone done this? Trying to figure out where I would wire the harness into. The car manual says it's ready to go for trailer wiring.. whatever that means. Any help would be great. Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I think they all come with a nice trailer lighting harness. They (the ones I have seen anyway) are tucked behind the trunk liner over by the LH lighting assembly.

Here is some info:

All cars are electrically prepared for the fitting of a towbar. For this purpose, 8-pin connector 258 (H8-5) is installed in the luggage compartment on the left-hand side under the left-hand rear light.

Current is supplied via connector 258 (H8-5) to the following lights on the trailer:

Pin 1 Brake lights 30 (from brake lights switch 29).

Pin 2 Rear light 14, right-hand side, and number plate lighting 15 (from lights switch 10 and fuse 29).

Pin 3 Direction indicators 28, right-hand side (from flasher relay 23).

Pin 4 Direction indicators 27, left-hand side (from flasher relay 23).

Pin 5 and 8 Rear fog light 33 (from rear fog lights switch 161).

Pin 6 Rear light 14, left-hand side (from lights switch 10 and fuse 30).

The grounding cable from the towbar's electrical connector must be connected to rear grounding point G3 on the car, using a separate ring cable terminal.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Unfortunately they don't come with a North American spec wiring harness because North American trailers use two lights instead of four used in Europe. You need the magic box which you splice in. On mine the hitch installer ended up running a live feed direct from the battery and fit a 10 amp fuse at the wrong end! He fit the fuse at the trunk so the feed line was unprotected all the way from the battery to the trunk and exposed under the car!!!! My mechanic put a second fuse right at the battery where it actually protects the circuit.

Sorry to say there's no easy way to wire this. However, with the wiring diagram and those clamp on connectors which slice into the insulation it can be done.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I haven't tried to find any pre-configured connector for a trailer wiring harness in my 9k, but it's probably worth looking. I can fit/wire a socket myself but not having to splice into existing wiring is definitely a good thing.

Haven't started fitting the towing kit I mentioned in another thread yet - want to have employment before I tackle that in case I need more supplies. :cool:

Craig.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I've looked at 4 Euro spec 9000's and on the left rear, behind lining near the aerial, there is a trailer wiring box present with everything connected awaiting your trailer inputs, only needs a few minutes to hook & go, you will never find an easier car to wire.

Look there first, although might be missing on N American models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts