SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
I'm new on this forum. I'm from Belgium.
I'm thinking about buying a saab 9000 turbo SP (limited edition, 204hp) from 1990. I came to see the car and could drive it and i have the following concerns:

- At idle condition (and probably during running too), there's a "disturbing" humming noise coming from the left side of the engine (belt side). I thought it was coming from A/C compressor or steering wheel pump but the noise seems to be located between them -> that means below the DI cassette, from the camshaft bearing or whatever?

Can someone tell me if this noise is typical for this engine? Or can I expect a big problem? (my parents had a 9000 2.0 turbo 175hp one before and I can't remember if she has this noise too! :( )

- On the other hand, I drove the car and I was really disappointed by the lack of power compared to the 175hp I used to drive! The car was really poor below 3500~4000rpm and started to push a little bit more afterwards but nothing really impressive compared to what I expected!!

Could someone tell me what could be the reason? APC module? Turbo charger? Control valve?

Thank you very much for your kind cooperation guys!

Best regards.

Tristou

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
1) The guess about the noise would be the belt tensioner pulley, or, idler pulley. Those should be changed regulary, relying on the quasimotors site, so, it could be that going. They are in the middle.
2) Do you have a boost gauge in you dash board? If yes, where does it go to?

Klim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reaction Klim!;)

1) What do you mean by idler pulley? (i don't know what means idler)

2) Sorry, I forgot to say that the turbo needle gauge was stucked at the middle of the yellow area...still far from the red area! :cry:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
1) I am not sure what the system is on the older 9000s but on the 2.3L ones there is a drive belt and it passes throught bunch of pulleys.

Just go here for the pic of 1995 engine :http://www.eeuroparts.com/searchresults.aspx?&carid=1152&cat=1004#

2) Did it move at all? Is it straight in the middle, or closer to the red zone? You could be stuck in what is called base boost...

Klim

What year is your car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1) ok, thanks. I will check that on the car. By the way, do you know if there's a malady with camshafts bearing or whatever? Just to be sure it's not something too serious!

2) The needle moved from green area to the middle of yellow area but not over...I guess this is only the base boost because it was close to atmosferic engine performances! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts