SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saab 9000 electric seats

Good day one and all!
I am new to this forum and would like to pull on your expert technical advice..grovel, grovel...;)
I have a pair of saab 9000 electric seats with heating and memory( driver's side) and am fitting them in a type 25 VW bus.
My question is regarding wiring.
Does anyone have a diagram/ pin list for the connectors on these seats.?
Each seat has two plugs.
One plug has three pins, with a thick red wire, a thick black wire and a thin red wire.
The other plug has 8 pins with a variety of colours including a yellow wire.
I don't want to use the heating just the electric movement.
Any help would be most grateful.....thanks!!!

Lee

·
Registered
762 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe that the 3 prong plug controls the power seat, and the other plug is for the heat function.

The thick red should be 12v constant power, thick black is ground, and I believe that thin red is for switched power.

I hope I am remembering correctly, and hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
thenaylortribe said:
One plug has three pins, with a thick red wire, a thick black wire and a thin red wire.
The other plug has 8 pins with a variety of colours including a yellow wire.
I don't want to use the heating just the electric movement.
Any help would be most grateful.....thanks!!!
Lee
My guess from my expirience installing a new stereo is that the three pin plug would be for the power seat movement.

Im guessing that the thick red wire is for power when the car is turned on, the thin red wire is for power when the car is off (maybe to hold seat position memory, or for adjusting seat while door is open?) and the thick black wire is for grounding...

As for the eight pin plug, Maybe each heating element has three power wires just like what i explained for seat adjustment (counting 6 so far) and then two more which would be thermostats?( one for each element making 8) If the colors are the same then it wouldnt be too hard to figure out i guess :confused:...

But thats just my guess,, hope it helps... or hopefully someone who actually knows will post something ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok gents thanks for that.

I saw the seats working in a Saab, and have tried connecting 12v to the thick red, and negative battery terminal to the thick black...no joy.

Back to the drawing board...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, looking for wiring diagram for some saab 9000 seat connections.
Basically there are two plugs, one with three wires and one with 8 wires.

I need to connect these seats into my vw type 25 bus and am having a bit of a 'mare.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these as I have since been told that there are pressure switches and door closure switches connected to these!!aaahhh!!!:eek: :eek:

I just want some lecky wobbly seats in me bus!!!:lol:

Lee

·
Registered
589 Posts
just repaired my dad's seat heater element (which is the yellow wire on the bigger connector BTW). Anyway, the elec adjustments all worked with the big connector off and smaller one still in, so on a '96 car I can confirm the 3-pin connector is for the elec adjustment, though which pin does what, I'll have to try and let the pictures explain... (sorry there had to be 2, and I couldn't get the writing any bigger)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello. I was trying to put a 93 year SAAB 9000`s electric seats to my 92 year SAAB 9000. But the problem is that in my 92yrs SAAB I have 2 wires (black & red) for electric seat, but in 93yr SAAB there are 3 wires - (black, red & thin yellow (in your case - thin red)). I was wondering if it is possible to attach the thin wire manually. As I understand from a diagram, the thin wire just needs a power when car is in run position and needs a 10A fuse. Am I right? And can I attach the wire to another wire and add a 10A fuse to it, or I need to attach the wire straight to the car battery?
Thanks. ;ol;

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi
It's over 3 years since I had a 9k, shame they didn't make a diesel version, anyway onto your question.
First I'd connect the 2 wires you have if the connector fits, and see if it works, as the wiring setup has changed over those 2 years, which was a changing period for the 9k in general
If it works then leave the smaller wire alone.
If not then you need to find out if you have the relay that this thinner wire should connect to. If you have then I'd suggest you put your thin wire through an ignition switched supply, such as the back of the cigarette lighter, then through to the seat area (add a fuse in the line somewhere if you want but the lighter is already suitably fused). As you can see from the relay on the bigger wire, it only works when the door is open/closed (I've forgotten which way it works) but this wire & connection will allow it to be moved when that initial relay isn't active.
If you haven't got this 2nd relay, you'd need to add one if you need the functionality from it, and hopefully there's a space to put one on the relay board with the harness already in place to work.
If that space isn't available you'll need to add a relay somewhere else in the car, and you'd need to get into the seat switch to see where the other end of of the low-power side of the relay is going to connect to - which is where my help runs out I'm afraid, I never took the circuits apart or looked at that side of the wiring harness.

Happy to help if/where I can, Dan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts