SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi good evening
Just put new clutch and slave cylinder. In my 1998 2.3 turbo. Having trouble bleeding. IAM using my works pressure bleeder. I can get a pedal but when driving hold clutch pedal down after 15 sec ish start to lose clutch then stalls and have to pump pedal back . Then can change gear again. Does anyone have any ideas. Currently have lever bar holding pedal down over night. To see if that helps, hope new slave cylinder isn't faulty
Thanks Ash

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sounds like you have air in the slave cylinder. How are you bleeding the line from the stub on the slave cylinder?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ryengoth. Thanks for getting back. Using a pressure bleeder. And pipe on bleed nipple into bottle. Have heard u can get air in if u open bleed nipple to much. Have ordered a syringe to see if I can force fluid up. Also Was thinking if master cylinder faulty. but it was change about 6 years ago. And hydraulics were fine before. Doing clutch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i never use any bleeders and it always works, just pump the clutch pedal with your hand slowly and then keep it floored when unscrewing the bleeder at the slave cylinder, let the fluid come out then screw it back in. Release the pedal after tightening back the bleeder. repeat the process until you see no air coming out of the bleeder. you will need a helper to do this though ..

·
Registered
584 Posts
i never use any bleeders and it always works, just pump the clutch pedal with your hand slowly and then keep it floored when unscrewing the bleeder at the slave cylinder, let the fluid come out then screw it back in. Release the pedal after tightening back the bleeder. repeat the process until you see no air coming out of the bleeder. you will need a helper to do this though ..
If you have a helper, yeah. Same for the brakes. A vacuum bleeder is really the only way to make sure no air is in the slave cylinder when you're by yourself. The air-line vacuum bleeders work but I found the mityvac works better with more control.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I am actually using that Mityvac thing in one of the videos on my YT channel. After I reinstalled the transmission I bled the clutch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi just thought I'd let you all know. Had clutch pedal go on way home. Managed to jump it in 1st to get home. Had a look why I couldn't get clutch back. Found no fluid, so there must be a leak. Topped fluid back up to get pedal back. held it down and had a look round. Could see fluid coming out of bleed nipple. So checked tightness. And would you believe it, done up some more. :mad: clutch is ok yippee. Now just need to adjust gear linkage. So I can get 5th gear then good to go. Then on to EDU fault in instrument cluster. Just love old cars.:rolleyes:Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Motive Products power bleeder works great. When I did a full clutch replacement including new master and slave cyls on my 1990 9k a couple of yrs ago I bled it with that. Probably needs doing again now but last time I drove the car the clutch worked fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi thanks will look that up. Have bought a new master cylinder so my Next Saturday at work will replace. Then it's all new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts