SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

The speedo has stopped working on my 9000 aero, Is this likely to just be a speedo cable or the clocks them selves? and how hard is either of these things to replace? if its the clocks them selves if i pick up a set of used clocks on ebay isit a straight swap or do they need to be married back to the car like a 9-5 áero?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Instrument cluster or speedo drive in the transmission. No cable in later 9000. Mine was both which foxed the mechanic at the time.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
No cable, just a close-coupled gear driven sensor. It's a magnetic pick-up unit that screws onto the transmission with a short pigtail that connects to the harness:

Check for good electrical connection.

Unscrew the coupler and check the geardrive for mesh - the driven gear is nylon and can get stripped. Insert a small screwdriver into the square output hole, twist back and forth. There should be only a limited degree of rotation. If it spins freely, the gear is stripped.
See the middle assembly:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi

The speedo has stopped working on my 9000 aero, Is this likely to just be a speedo cable or the clocks them selves? and how hard is either of these things to replace? if its the clocks them selves if i pick up a set of used clocks on ebay isit a straight swap or do they need to be married back to the car like a 9-5 áero?
If you're lucky, it's only the removable speedo gear. They are about $20 from many online sources.

If you're unlucky, it's the internal speedo gear. Those are only $2, but you have to almost rebuild the entire transaxle just to replace that part.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Or, a very skilled SAAB mechanic who has fished these out before, in the dark with his eyes closed, may get the old broken bits out. Inserting the new speedo drive is fairly easy, trying to fish the old broken bits out and failing means removal and stripping of the box. Take it to a reputable experienced SAAB mechanic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Or, a very skilled SAAB mechanic who has fished these out before, in the dark with his eyes closed, may get the old broken bits out. Inserting the new speedo drive is fairly easy, trying to fish the old broken bits out and failing means removal and stripping of the box. Take it to a reputable experienced SAAB mechanic.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. The external speedo transducer is made from plastic so if it got crunched, the trans would easily chew up the pieces. Typically the external speedo transducers stop working due to the electrical connection and not from breaking.

It's the internal plastic gear that breaks that's a concern. It won't negatively affect the transaxle, but it will stop functioning. From what I understand, to install one of those, you lightly heat them up and then press them onto a shaft inside the transaxle. If done improperly, they are prone to breaking.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
The problem is fishing out the old broken bits. The nylon gears won't hurt the tranny if they break up but you can't get the new one in unless you can fish the old broken bits out. I know, this happened to me. My mechanic is a genius and the tranny stayed put. Don't try this at home.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Thanks guys

The speedo in my 93 9000 griffin (190,000km) just stopped, no warning. I stopped one day, turned the engine off, started again, and moved off, but no speedo.

I must start checking the connections, hoping nothing is stripped inside.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Still not working.

Checked the transducer, actually swapped it out with one from my other 93 9000. (CSI)
Sprayed contact spray on the transducer connection.

Put the transducer from the "faulty car" (griffin) into the other car, and the speedo on the other car (CSI) it worked.

So I guess it is dash out, and looking for a bad connection in the dash.
Not really sure what I am looking for.

Removed the dash today, checked connections.
No change.

Now I am at a loss to know what to check.

When we checked to transducer we checked the drive in the transmission, it was turning as we turned the wheels.

Could the speedo itself be faulty?
If so how would I check and repair it.

With thanks to any lookers.

Robin

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
A solution.
I swapped out the speedo from one car to the other.
Hey presto, my car now has a functioning speedo!

So I have sent the faulty speedo off to be checked over, repaired.
Along with an ACC climate control unit!

Hopefully to return and back to normal operation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts