SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be getting a 900 turbo soon the question is do i want stick or automatic. Iv driven both before but which will be more fun and better in the end. Pros and cons anyone?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well that is pretty much up you my friend. I would say it depends on where you live(city or country), what kind of driving you are going to be doing, and what makes for a more enjoyable driving experience for you. Being that you posted this in the mods and tuning section I am guessing that you either posted in the wrong place, or have a desire to tune. If you want to tune I would imagine that you would prefer a manual. It has been a few years since I have owned a 900, so as to the specific trannys i cant give much insight. However, I believe that 98 was the first year of the Hydraulic clutch...if that matter to you and your decision.

My .02: Go Manual

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think that manual is the way to go. You will get better gas mileage, the car will be more fun to drive (imo), and also it will be a little quicker (less drive train loss).

+1 for manual

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
manual - more fun, better gas mileage, less drivetrain loss

auto - nice for constant stop and go traffic, generally more reliable than the manuals (if kept near stock power levels)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am very much looking to tune, and it looks like you guys say go manual :). I wanted an opinion from tuners standpoints

·
Registered
130 Posts
stamonkey said:
In the words of my father, "autoboxes are for fat ******** and pregnant women".
Try driving your manual 50 miles one way at a max of 35 miles per hour coming to a complete stop every 22 seconds on the LA freeway system. You'll feel like becoming a fat pregnant ******* in no time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've had both in the past and felt the manual was far superior to the auto and over here in the U.K at least has more power

I made the transition to the auto after some serious problems with my leg that didn't involve any fat ******** or pregnant women:roll:

·
Registered
129 Posts
It depends on how much power you want to make.? I think the Auto tranny is only good for 300hp or so. Also, i dont know if you can really beat up on an Auto like you can a manual...? Does the auto back off boost? Or is this t7..?

I know there are a few people that have run stage 4 on auto boxes and have been very happy.

good luck Mark M.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
stamonkey said:
In the words of my father, "autoboxes are for fat ******** and pregnant women".
Well, I'm not a pregnant red neck, but I do have an automatic. I would tell you to go with a manual, especially if you have high power goals, the autobox wont handle much more than 300hp, I was told that by Nick T, I kinda died a little inside that day, but oh well.

·
Registered
256 Posts
In the words of the Great Iconic Novelist, John Irving, "Never trust a man who drives an automatic car."

Ahhhhh, literature and fine automobiles, great separate, but together, together they are truly something special.

....Or in other words, don't be a weenie, get a manual.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Interesting to note would be how many of the auto naysayers have spent any significant amount of time behind a stage 4 autobox?

Right.

-bny. (with near stage 4 autobox)

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
brewtide said:
Interesting to note would be how many of the auto naysayers have spent any significant amount of time behind a stage 4 autobox?
Don't need to. Daddy can't relax behind the wheel unless he is stirring the gears himself. I have driven more than a few exceptionally powerful Mercs with slushboxes, and they certainly had their strongpoints, but there was a noticeable lack of engagement and involvement between us. Something about autoboxes that just leaves me cold.
That said - it comes down to need (daily commute conditions) and/or personal preference. For me, it is simple:
5 speed FTW!

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is the easiest decision, it's like the Bimmer ad...

1) You want to get from A to B, the auto trans.

2) You like to drive....then stick is the only one... :cheesy: :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
brewtide said:

Right.

-bny. (with near stage 4 autobox)
Well, I have all the hardware neccessary for stg 4, just not the tune... yet. And I will say that I have fun, not going to lie about that, but I even when enjoying the company of my beautiful saab, I can't help but wonder: would this be more fun if it was a stick?:confused:

(and the little voice in my head always screams yes)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Sidiov said:
Try driving your manual 50 miles one way at a max of 35 miles per hour coming to a complete stop every 22 seconds on the LA freeway system. You'll feel like becoming a fat pregnant ******* in no time.
I did it for 6 months. But mine was a 5 mile commute taking 45 minutes to an hour.

Ironically, my dad commutes 120 miles a day (He wanted us to grow up in a small town).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts