SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my 900 turbo for two years, spend spend spend, But since december last year silence, everything working, then last week a noise coming from the front somewhere, like a rubbing noise, it is loud at speed but does not seem to be the engine as it is still there when i switch the car off when moving, please someone help me with this.:roll:

·
Registered
18 Posts

Does the noise get louder when you steer one way, and quieter when you turn the other??? Does it get louder the faster you go? And I take it there's no noise when your stopped?

If the above is correct, I recon it could be one of your wheel bearings. I've just had mine repaired as it was shot to bits, and sounded like a big scary lion roaring away!!

Best of luck,

·
Registered
569 Posts
sounds like wheel bearings. as apip described, it makes more noise one way than the other. another thing you'll notice is a LOT more brake dust on the wheels. it seems that the bearing allows the wheel to wobble a little (not enough to cause instability, but enough to mess with things) and it totally KILLS your brake pads. when my driver side one went out, it left about a millimeter of pad material on what were new pads when i bought the car.

kinda scares the crap out of you to be driving down the road and feel/hear this vibration and noise, doesn't it?!?!

you'll probably also notice that upon acceleration the noise will either completely or nearly go away and upon deceleration it gets louder. good luck. you'll need to have the old bearing pressed out and a new one pressed in... it's sortof an ugly job:cry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saab 900 turbo

Thanks for the replys to my question
I thought it was the wheel bearings but now i am not sure as you say the noise gets quieter when at speed, the noise i get is a whirling noise and it gradually gets louder as the speed increases, and the noise does not change when i turn or brake, its not a shakey or rattling noise either, its sort of just a drone, and it is really anoying. if you can think of anything else or could this still be the bearings, thanks once again for your help.

Dave.

·
Registered
569 Posts
no, i did not say it goes away with speed. you may notice that while ACCELERATING it gets quieter, but as you level off your speed it's much louder. for example: you're going 50 mph and the noise is pretty bad. you get on the gas and accelerate to 70. while you're accelerating, the noise isn't as bad. as soon as you let off the gas and stop accelerating at 70, the noise comes back even louder than it was at 50. also, at low speeds such as 25-30 miles per hour, this is much more apparent. give it a shot. it's weird that it doesn't change when you turn, but if it's gotten really bad then you won't notice a difference.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I've never had a failed wheel bearing make less noise the faster you go :confused: . They make a distinctive roar/rumble sound. The noise is pretty continuous, whether you are turning or going straight.

Edit - typing too slow again. .

·
Registered
569 Posts
k guys, read this VERY carefully: not at higher speeds, but strictly WHILE you are ACCELERATING. once you level off, the noise gets awful again. seriously, check it out, that's what mine did. but ONLY while accelerating. at level speed it was fairly bad, but not terrible, and on deceleration it was much worse.

am i messed up here?:confused:

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
am i messed up here?
Is that a rhetorical question? :D .

I'm sure you are right - accelerating and all that, but it's not something I ever noticed. I posted my reply before I'd seen your clarification. Anyway, I've been searching for a quick and surefire way to test for a broken wheel bearing, and apart from the noise I haven't found anything yet. I know the MOT guys in this country grasp the wheel and pull it around to test the bearings, but what I'm not sure of is how much movement is considered too much.

·
Registered
569 Posts
lol!!

any movement is too much. if it moves, there's something wrong. however, i didn't check mine before i fixed it... i described the noise to my dad and he said that's for sure what it was, and replacing it fixed the noise. so i never noticed if mine moved or not...

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Differential?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have pulled my wheel about, and can not see much in the way of movement, I think i will take it to a dealer, but that as usual scares me, they like to change more than you want, and on more than one occasion have not even fixed the problem, but once again thanks for the help.

nonstop

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to take the wheel off and have a look, i have changed my mind, no car dealers, i have paid out too much on this car already, mind you its a 94 and its done 330000klm. bit much ehhh.'

NonStop

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I had a rear wheel bearing on the 99 that used to make different amounts of noise at different speeds. At some speeds it was silent but as soon as you hit certain speeds it would suddenly start getting noiser (iirc at 50mph it was really bad but it would stop by 55)
When i took it apart to replace it and looked at the old bearing i found that 2 or 3 or the rollers had broken in half - so instead of one roller they were acting as 2 next to each other. That and manky 20 year old grease was the cause of the noise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts