SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Saab nation!

Trying to get my 87 Saab 900 working:
Facts: one week ago I pressure washed the engine without covering up any of the components, the car was running at the time. The car ran a bit funny after the wash (yes, I realize the error of my ways). A week later I'm trying to start the car, and can't.

Steps I've tried:
Jumpstarting
Switching battery
Cleaning cables and terminals

What happens:
Engine does not crank, can hear a sound when key turned, sound is whirring/spinning sound (low rpm noise).
I am able to bump start the car

Would love some tips of things to try next. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Did you power wash the engine bay or just the outside of the car, as if engine bay you could have blasted any terminal off get your other
battery and try a direct feed to the starter motor terminal

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine bay unfortunately. How do I direct feed the starter motor, do I need to ground anything?

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
beside the main feed wire there is a little clip on wire I think you may have blown it off, but disconnect your battery, and use a pair of jump leads, or good cable/wire, connect one on the block(earth) and the live to the other side of the solenoid to the normal red live side, and it should turn over

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
...Or, just measure voltages along the circuit to find where it's lost....
The starter could have been damaged.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

So after bump starting it, I took her to the gas station filled her up and then came back home and shut her off. She started right up without any issue.

Ill be doing a cold start test in a few minutes to see how bad its going to be.

I did spray out the AMM with MAF spray, hopefully no cold start issues.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Spray grease (whatever you have, I like the clear penetrating kind) on the starter Bendix mechanism.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts