SaabCentral Forums banner

Saab 900 fan relay modification

671 3
I have been trying to get my 1991 Saab 900 n/a up and running to get ready to sell. My main issue besides a dying alternator is a overheating problem. I have been trying to get both fans up and running as of now I have gotten the right side fan (the one that comes on when the car starts to overheat) to come on but haven't been able for the life of me to get the other one (the one that goes with the a/c) I have tried two things I replaced the fan it self and replaced the relay in the J slot is their something else I have missed or a way to test it? I see on this link their is a way to hard wiring them in together? (link below) To have them both go at the same time is this a good idea? If so is their a more detailed explanation somewhere or should I just wire them together into a switch on my dash. Any other ideas is greatly appreciated

http://www.thesaabsite.com/faqs/FAQ--heating-&-cooling-category--cooling-fan-issues.html?id=559
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
to check if you fans work just bridge the sensor on the rad, and it should come on, if not you possibly have a siezed motor or no power to the sensor, that's how basic it is, the same with the ac connector in the top hose, you can double them up, but if a/c is still working , don't.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
to check if you fans work just bridge the sensor on the rad, and it should come on, if not you possibly have a siezed motor or no power to the sensor, that's how basic it is, the same with the ac connector in the top hose, you can double them up, but if a/c is still working , don't.
Test for seizure by moving the blades. If you plan to run both fans as standard you may need to upgrade to 80amp alt to avoid flat batteries. Especially if your standard driving involves sitting idling in traffic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.