SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are many posts about this similar topic on the internet and none have any REAL info on what you CAN or CANNOT actually run on the 9-5 without the tires rubbing.

I know changing tire sizes can have negative effects on handling, wear, etc. I've done this sort of thing countless times with MANY different types and makes of vehicles over the years and I have never ran into any real problems, other than rubbing or uneven tire wear.

I found some used tires that just might be TOO big based on what I have read so far, but haven't found real proof. So I will buy these and try them on my '99, and let you all know if they work or not. For only $100 (I bet I can talk him down to $80 or $90) plus mount and balance (another $40 I think?) it is worth a try.

Here's what I found on CL today. Like-new condition.
Hankook Studded Snow Tires... 225/60 R16.

Has anyone tried this size on an early 9-5 already? Any rubbing?

Here are the spec's comparing my car's stock tire size with the stock Aero tires, as well as the 225/60 R16's I am going to try out soon (unless someone chimes in and informs me that they will DEFINITELY rub).

My Factory tires: 215/55 R16 (1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t)
Outside Diameter: 25.3"
Tread Width: 8.5"

Widest 9-5 tires: 225/45 R17 (2000 Saab 9-5 Aero)
Outside Diameter: 25"
Tread width: 8.9"

Used Hankook tires: 225/60 R16
Outside Diameter: 26.6"
Tread width: 8.9"

1) This will cause my speedo to read 5% slow, which isn't enough to matter.
2) Camber will increase causing uneven wear ($100 tires used infrequently = I don't care).
3) I'm using the factory alloy rims so the overall weight change will be minimal.

Basically my only concern at this point is rubbing.
Stay tuned and we'll find out if these tall mothers are going to rub or not.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Tech 2 can reprogram the SID for the different circumference wheels. But as you say, for 5% it’s a lot of effort.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, that's cool to know. New Saab owner here (like 2 weeks!). I've seen this tech 2 mentioned elsewhere and definitely plan to play with it one day. Maybe sooner than later if need dictates, but let's hope not! Cheers!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You also need to know the wheel offset.

Go to www.willtheyfit.com and as long as you know the wheel offset, width and tire size you will see a diagram explaining how a change will affect tire position as well as speedometer accuracy. It won't tell you if they'll rub but there's enough information to make an informed decision.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You also need to know the wheel offset.

Go to www.willtheyfit.com and as long as you know the wheel offset, width and tire size you will see a diagram explaining how a change will affect tire position as well as speedometer accuracy. It won't tell you if they'll rub but there's enough information to make an informed decision.
[/
Thanks for the tip.
I use tiresize.com to compare and get specs. As I wrote above, I will use the factory rims, so offset will not change. I think I am making a pretty well informed decision. =)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Narrow winter tires are much better than wide ones.
In most cases, yes. Especially deep snow. But on ice or snow-pack, a wider tire with good siping will give better grip, and adding studs will help with tracking straight and cornering with good control. We don't get much snow here in Portland, OR, but we do get icy roads often. Although, much to my chagrin, they are starting to salt the roads here now (in the past they only used sand/gravel, which is why our cars are rust-free). So maybe I don't even need winter tires here anymore. =\

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You might be asking, why studs? Is that necessary? Well after you've wrapped one of these around a tree cab-first because you hit a patch of ice when negotiating a sweeping corner at only 30 mph, you realize that one instance of no traction can literally end your life.
Somehow I pulled myself out through that broken moon roof, between the tree and the ground, and made it back to the road before blacking out. Severe concussion, neck fracture, cuts and bruises galore. Lucky to be alive.
Those were factory wheels with factory-size winter tires, unstudded. 4-wheel drive.
I can almost guarantee from experience that if those tires were studded, that would not have happened.
Drive safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
I'm running 205/60-16 winter tires on my 9-5 (on Saab NG9-3 steel rims, so the offset is a bit different). Those tires look pretty big on the car already. I would not go to 225/60-16.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well thanks for the input everyone, I kinda chickened out on those Hankook's, but mainly because I found a like new set of Wintercat XT's for just $150. I just brought them home, they are 215/60 R16 so still a little bigger than stock, but not much. I will let you all know how they fit/run when I get them on the car. Might be a couple weeks yet though. Got some other projects to finish before I'm driving her again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts