SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a saab 9-5 2000 2.3t Saloon, my original problem when i bought the car was the exhaust valve on cylinder 1 had a hole blown through it, after fixing the valve i realised the car doesnt have the powed id expect from a 2.3t. later i found out that the turbo was blown, to 3 days ago i replaced the turbo with a brand new garrett gt17 (original i believe), but i think the car is misfiring, when i give it a boost, or when im going up hill it sortof feels like it wants to die, like it dies but then saves itself. i also found that if i drive it for a while and it gets hot and i turn it off, i doesnt want to turn on again for a while. please let me know if you have or had the same problem and how you went on fixing it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have a saab 9-5 2000 2.3t Saloon, my original problem when i bought the car was the exhaust valve on cylinder 1 had a hole blown through it, after fixing the valve i realised the car doesnt have the powed id expect from a 2.3t. later i found out that the turbo was blown, to 3 days ago i replaced the turbo with a brand new garrett gt17 (original i believe), but i think the car is misfiring, when i give it a boost, or when im going up hill it sortof feels like it wants to die, like it dies but then saves itself. i also found that if i drive it for a while and it gets hot and i turn it off, i doesnt want to turn on again for a while. please let me know if you have or had the same problem and how you went on fixing it.

Thanks
your hot start issues is a failing cps...crankshaft position sensor. Also might want to give the car a tune up with the proper NGK plugs, which should address the miss firing issue under boost, but if it doesnt then look at a DIC replacement and also check for vacuum leaks

·
Registered
93 Posts
if it is automatic check neutral position switch which is under the battery for the non start issue when hot
if you dont get any warning lights on the dash and it only happens uphill or while boosting i dont think its misfiring the lack of power

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was just about to say crankshaft sensor, I just had the same problem & replaced mine. (ha ha, not myself though) Maybe make sure all the air filters are clean? I would say get the turbo cleaned but you just got a new one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How do you know the hot start problem is a CPS?

I have had my 9-5 not start twice this week when hot, after it cools it starts right up.

One time it threw a code P0336, second time no code.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it definately is the CPS.
this video explains why, and it makes perfect sense. i odered a new CPS and when it arrives i will let you know if it solved my Hiccup and Randomly Dying problem

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Did your mechanic remember to attach the wastegate? And are all the BCV hoses good and connected? How do your vacuum lines look?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Crankshaft sensor is the answer... just went down that road a few months ago, I would open the hood, let the engine cool and then it would start.

Replaced that sensor (obviously not personally, had the mechanic do it) and it is ok.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Replaced that sensor (obviously not personally, had the mechanic do it) and it is ok.
Why not learn to work on the car yourself? just curious as thats a rather easy part to change out... unless its a V6 and then i dont have a clue with that engine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wastegate looks good, replaced a bunch of cracked vacuum hoses.

Bought a CPS for $50 and I am in the process of changing it. What a F--n pain in the ***** to get around the heat shield screw out. I am sure that was put in by the worst engineer saab could find. Dark now, resume at ohhhhh - 5:00 hundred...............

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Mate go from under the car it took me no more than 15 mins
yup, same way I just did mine. Although I switched it back to my old one and will keep the new as a spare for when it goes out and gives me problems. I just had to make sure the one I brought worked ;ol;

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did your mechanic remember to attach the wastegate? And are all the BCV hoses good and connected? How do your vacuum lines look?
I put the turbo in myself, so far ive done everything myself, i checked, all the vacuum pipes are connected. but the car is getting so bad that after just 5 minutes of driving it starts to get hiccups so bad that i push the gass almost through the floor and past the engine, but the revs jump up and down and doesnt go any further than 2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far i have replaced a valve myself, put the waterpump back on when it randomly decided to fall off, put the new turbo on myself, and now im going to change the CPS. i took it out today thinking that if i clean it it might be better (but no luck) - {took me only 5 minutes}. this is only my second car. im 16 years old and eventhough i have to work so much on this car, and i have no job, i still love this car, very luxorious.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Did you check LHM? Did you install the MAF in the right direction? Check your charge air system connections. Did you get the CEL (codes)? Are all your vacuum lines going to the right ports? Plug's used? Condition of BCV and connections? Cracks on the DIC?

I put the turbo in myself, so far ive done everything myself, i checked, all the vacuum pipes are connected. but the car is getting so bad that after just 5 minutes of driving it starts to get hiccups so bad that i push the gass almost through the floor and past the engine, but the revs jump up and down and doesnt go any further than 2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why not learn to work on the car yourself? just curious as thats a rather easy part to change out... unless its a V6 and then i dont have a clue with that engine
I thought about learning how to fix it, but there are very few hours in the day I would have to actually do that - work/live in Metro DC. I do however, make time to wash it & clean it on the weekends.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you check LHM? Did you install the MAF in the right direction? Check your charge air system connections. Did you get the CEL (codes)? Are all your vacuum lines going to the right ports? Plug's used? Condition of BCV and connections? Cracks on the DIC?
It was in LHM, but its fixed now. The MAF is installed the right way around, (After all, it has an arrow on it) All the connections are correct. I did get 2 CEL codes, one being air intake, and one being CPS. the air intake code i believe was the turbo, but i ignored the CPS code. All the vacuum lines are going to the right prots, i googled a diagram and double checked. Not sure which plugs i got in now, but i will get new ones soon. BCV must be in good condition because it is working proporly, going up a hill where i used to get 40 KMH when the pedal is flat on the floor, it is now doing 110 KMH and its not even flat on the floor. and the DIC should be in good condition because when its having the hot start problem it doesnt have spark or fuel hinting that it is the CPS, i will keep you updated when my CPS arrives, should be quick to see if the problem is fixed, because the CPS is that bad that i cant even drive 10 minutes then it dies.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts