SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi . Sid comes up saying rear rh light failure.fuse 4 keeps blowing .also side lights not working. Right hand headlight wasnt working. Changed ballast on front right hand site headlight works. All new bulbs checked and checked again.the minute you switch on lights you see fuse 4 flash.if i disconect front right headlight fuse doesnt blow.could the dice unit be playing up? Left hand indicators work but right hand side nothing. Could the headlight be shorting out from the ballast ? Any help would be great !
Cheers

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
OK, so you have factory HID headlights?

And everything else (including RH turn signal) works fine if the RH headlight is disconnected?

This points to some kind of problem in the headlight, whether bad wiring, a bad module, or something else.

You can unplug the RH headlight and temporarily plug in the LH headlight in on the RH side. If it works normally and no fuses blow, you know it's the headlamp.

I don't see how this can be a DICE problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for that. Ive just had deliverd another headlight and i will hopefully try it tomorrow.swapping the headlights is a great idea tho ! spoke to a mechanic and for the fuse to blow instantly he confirmed that somewhere i have a positive short in that area. The right hand indicators tho do not work at the moment. Thats why i thought the dice was playing up. A few months ago i had an dipped beam xenon play up. So i changed both and all has been fine. Then on holiday this fault occured lol. Looking at the wiring diagrams and the haynes manual there a bit of a conflict as what fuse does what.in the saab handbook fuse 4 is rearlight parking light. Haynes say front right headlight. One thing i would say is keep away from led bulbs, i used on my small side lights. Probaly something of nothing but im not confident about them now.another thing the saab wouldnt start the other day.crikey it wouldnt fire up.killed the battery.even with easy start it wouldnt go.i bought the best battery out of halfords and after a bit it fired up and has been ok since. But the engine starter relay also has feed to the lights.so ive orderd a spare lol.

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
To help us help you, please use paragraphs and try to separate issues, it's easier for us to understand you. Also, please state year of the car, and the market or location--things changed with different model years and markets (North America vs. Europe vs. ??

So you have two separate problems?

1. Headlamp blows fuse?
  2. Turn signals don't work (or is it the small fender mounted light)?
What is "Fuse 4", is it in the engine compartment or in the fuse panel at the side of the dash? Lacking further info, I looked at the WIS wiring diagram for my car (2003 Canadian w/HID) and none of the lighting circuits go through a fuse that's numbered 4--this is why year/market info is important.

Anyway, I would find it odd that DICE is the cause of any of these problems. It could be, of course, but bad or worn wiring is a much more likely problem on these cars--as well as being easier and cheaper to fix.

You can go to the general topics/Tech II section here and download WIS and EPC. WIS is the Saab workshop information system and is loads better than Haynes.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
First: get rid of Haynes. You can find WIS from stickies.
Second: state which fuse and which fuse box.
Third: which MY and which model (DO NOT USE REG PLATE, WE HATE THEM).
If you do not know MY, tell us VIN.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news. Changed headlight. Fuse 4 passenger fuse box not blowing.all lights now working. After more inspections r/h headlight loom chaffed through one of the wires.resolderd piece of wire in. But no r/h indicators at all. Checked all visible wiring. Nothing else. Must be dice unit?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem is now, as there is no relay for turn signals, i believe thats true, could the dice unit pack up to one side of the car , or do they fail completely? At the mo its like theres no power going to the bulbs on the r/h side

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
Lights run off TWICE, not DICE.

According to the wiring diagram in WIS, front and rear turn signal lights, as well as fender/wing repeater lamp, run off the same wire from TWICE, which splits at junction J97 to go to the various lamps.

Are you saying that the turn signals don't work whatsoever on the RH side?

How about taillights, brake lights, and parking lights?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there.yes that is correct.all lights work fine now.but no r/h indicators. I disconnected left hand headlamp unit and then only side repeater worked on the left hand side.reconnected headlamp all good.when indicate right the dash lamp flashes fast as if the bulbs are all blown.im looking at the diagram possibly indicator stalk/ switch is nackerd? But then dash light for inducatoring right wouldnt flash fast? That would mean switch is working? If put on hazards still no indicators on the right

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Change ALL turn signal bulbs ASAP.
Front ones are PY24W, side ones W5W and rear ones P21W (BA-15S) All yellow/amber.

WIS shows you wiring diagrams also. You can find WIS from stickies.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Have you double-checked dash fuse 33 and stalk connector?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All fuses checked and checked. Indicator stalk, would the directional indicator flash fast on the dash clocks on the right if stalk failing ? One of my colleagues T work suggested an open circuit somewhere. He said disconect the dice unit and run 12v to the indicator feed to the indicators.if they light up then circuit from there good.then work back towards the indicator stalk and test to the dice.either side good then dice unit faulty ? And whats stickies ? Lol

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
And whats stickies ? Lol
Stickies are threads that are pinned to the top of the message board and remain there no matter how many threads are created.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi. Indicators fixed !! Dice unit faulty !!! Orderd one of flea bay all working .got one for same year model etc. Plugged in and voila !!! Lol. Big thanks to the people who helped. Electronics on cars not my strong point but it gave me the confidence to progress on.
TOP TIPS i ve learnt.

Right hand head light (xenon) unit check wiring loom.my loom ran over the air con pipe and wore through worth checking.

Ballast on lights. Worth keeping a spare. They can go down and cause loads of probs remembering there high voltage.

Xenon headlight failure - suprising if they throw the 10 amp fuse in the car interior fuse box the head light is foobar.

The haynes manual wiring diagram is pretty poor and big thanks mimmi you was right.the manual shows 3 wires and on the plug of the indicator stalj theres more like 12 lol

And yes there ARE INDICATOR RELAYS !!!!!

Underneath the drivers side dash located next to the dice unit is a handfull of relays.these are what give you the ticking sound when you operate the indicator stalk.well worth remembering !!

Bulbs . Well worth buying top quality bulbs as well. Cheap ones can bridge the two positives on the rear light giving you greif.
Im now going to put my beloved saab back together and enyoy !!

I know ive waffled on but in a nut shell, if one on of yer xenons lights go down , disconnect and you still will have use of yer fogs and light connected working to get you home.take the dice out wen you get chance.if it smells like burnt laquer its scrap.:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts