SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
It'd be a good idea to get all the requisite hardware upgrades, too.
All the cars built from '03 on all had the same part numbers for everything other than the turbos and the ECU's. I believe your's may have some other internal differences that would be wise to change as well.
Although I may be wrong, and I expect to be corrected if I am.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Does an ecu need to be divorced from the previous car before it can be put in a new one? Or just a Tech II to marry it on the install?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
greenmatt said:
Does an ecu need to be divorced from the previous car before it can be put in a new one? Or just a Tech II to marry it on the install?
Not sure.. I dont think so.. though i maybe wrong

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
You will need a TD04 installed first.

You should get a manual ECU for a manual car, and an automatic ECU for an automatic car. That ad does not list which version it is...

Also, check stateside wreckers for a better deal... then you won't pay heavily for shipping, duty and worst of all brokerage fees.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stipud said:

You should get a manual ECU for a manual car, and an automatic ECU for an automatic car. That ad does not list which version it is...

Also, check stateside wreckers for a better deal... then you won't pay heavily for shipping, duty and worst of all brokerage fees.
ohh ok i understand...."stateside wrecker"???

·
Registered
480 Posts
stipud said:

Is there any difference in the later models(2002 on), the aero with 4spd auto didnt have overboost, is that correct?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
SaabBlackMan said:
ohh ok i understand...."stateside wrecker"???
Junkyard in the United States. :cool:

greenmatt said:
Is there any difference in the later models(2002 on), the aero with 4spd auto didnt have overboost, is that correct?
I think there was a 5 speed automatic option on the 2002 on models. None of the automatic transmissions have overboost.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yeah the 5 speed came out with the facelift. So the main difference between the auto/manual ecu's tune would be the overboost. thanks

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So does that mean that i can get it or not?..I am looking to do upgrades within the span of a week or two well at least order what i need. so what should i do..i am starting with my suspension and sway bar kits then i am looking to change all of the light bulbs in my car to a different color..interior.looking for some ideas from you guys.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
SaabBlackMan said:
So does that mean that i can get it or not?..I am looking to do upgrades within the span of a week or two well at least order what i need. so what should i do..i am starting with my suspension and sway bar kits then i am looking to change all of the light bulbs in my car to a different color..interior.looking for some ideas from you guys.
I would not get that ECU as it does not specify what transmission it is for. There are several stages of ECU you can get from Nordic or Abbott that you use a TD-04 with, and if I were to upgrade from a GT-17 and need an ECU, I would go straight to one of those tunes.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SectorNine50 said:
I would not get that ECU as it does not specify what transmission it is for. There are several stages of ECU you can get from Nordic or Abbott that you use a TD-04 with, and if I were to upgrade from a GT-17 and need an ECU, I would go straight to one of those tunes.
ok gotcha.. i've been looking at abbott tuning for a while now maybe i will get a few things from them. thanks man

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
SaabBlackMan said:
ok gotcha.. i've been looking at abbott tuning for a while now maybe i will get a few things from them. thanks man
Anytime. It may help to contact them over the phone to find out if your car specifically would need different injectors and what not.

The nice thing I can say about Nordic (Since I don't have the tune, no real opinion) is that they have a state-side rep: GenuineSaab.com. It may be much more helpful to you if you had a contact on the same hours as you that could send you a tune without paying up the *** for shipping.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SectorNine50 said:
Anytime. It may help to contact them over the phone to find out if your car specifically would need different injectors and what not.

The nice thing I can say about Nordic (Since I don't have the tune, no real opinion) is that they have a state-side rep: GenuineSaab.com. It may be much more helpful to you if you had a contact on the same hours as you that could send you a tune without paying up the *** for shipping.
Ohh ok Ill give em a call.. I go on that site all the time..as a matter a fact it's always open on my computer along with partsforsaabs.com,eeuroparts,and couple others.But i am getting a 3k check in the next week and i want to spend it wisely..for example i am looking at this kit which seems very reasonable dont you think?
http://eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?code=8746#

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
SaabBlackMan said:
Ohh ok Ill give em a call.. I go on that site all the time..as a matter a fact it's always open on my computer along with partsforsaabs.com,eeuroparts,and couple others.But i am getting a 3k check in the next week and i want to spend it wisely..for example i am looking at this kit which seems very reasonable dont you think?
http://eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?code=8746#
That is truly a good deal, but I personally would avoid upgrading to a stock Aero shock now that I have the Bilstein HD's.

I'm running stock Aero springs with the Bilstein HD's and the ride comfort and handling was improved so much I was SHOCKED. It rides better, handles better, stops better, it literally is just better. They accomplish this with a variable dampening system that is soft when your driving around, but when you push it, it stiffens.

What I would do is get just the anti-roll bars from Genuine Saab, and try to find Aero springs from a junkyard since they never go bad, and get the Bilstein HD's from www.shox.com.

Or if you don't mind having a little less ride comfort, but better handling, I recommend the Eibach lowering spring with the Bilstein Sports.

Regardless, that kit will get the job done, and will offer a huge increase in performance over your stock suspension. So if you don't fee like paying extra to get the Bilsteins, this kit is definately the way to go. :cool:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SectorNine50 said:
That is truly a good deal, but I personally would avoid upgrading to a stock Aero shock now that I have the Bilstein HD's.

I'm running stock Aero springs with the Bilstein HD's and the ride comfort and handling was improved so much I was SHOCKED. It rides better, handles better, stops better, it literally is just better. They accomplish this with a variable dampening system that is soft when your driving around, but when you push it, it stiffens.

What I would do is get just the anti-roll bars from Genuine Saab, and try to find Aero springs from a junkyard since they never go bad, and get the Bilstein HD's from www.shox.com.

Or if you don't mind having a little less ride comfort, but better handling, I recommend the Eibach lowering spring with the Bilstein Sports.

Regardless, that kit will get the job done, and will offer a huge increase in performance over your stock suspension. So if you don't fee like paying extra to get the Bilsteins, this kit is definately the way to go. :cool:
Yeah thats what someone else said but where i live the junk yard dont have much saabs or they done have my 9-5 models...so i might have to call the dealer and check how much aero spring by itself cost..or a friend of mine told me about junk yard in billerica ma so i might check out that place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just finished replacing my GT17 with a TD04 today (4.5 hours from start to finish including cleanup). I also got an AERO ECU from the junk yard but did a VIN search on it and it is an automatic...my 2001 9-5 2.3t is a manual. Will it be OK or should I get the manual one? I have done many searches and found people say it was OK and people say it was not. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
the ecu for manual and auto are the same - the software inside holds instructions for both options and recognizes what's used.
you can reprogram the immobilizer and vin number from your car into the ecu with tech2 or canusb.
but it will be just as easy to program your existing ecu with an aero version...

·
Registered
89 Posts
and yes, you should have the bigger turbo to really get the power you hope for by running the aero ecu. the lpt turbo is not strong enough to run the boost an aero runs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts