SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new in this forum but I've been a reader long time ago. I own a 2000 SAAB 9-5 that I wish to modify it a little since I got a job for this summer :)
Anyway, as I've read, SAAB 9-5 can't have an atmospheric blow-off valve (the one that makes "pssssssh" sound) and I'm really upset about it. It may sound stupid but I'd like to ask - is it possible to somehow install atmoshperic blow-off valve. Actually I don't care about the valve, I just want to have a "psssh" sound. By the way, check out this video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7970453765564415050
The person says that there's is no CEL. How he have managed to do it?
Also I've searched for BOV simulators but I couldn't find nothing like atmospheric BOVs.
Also I somewhere read that it is possible to make a homemade atmospheric BOV - disconnect the gum tube out of stock recirculating BOV. I don't know whether it's true or not.
So anyway, I look forward hearing comments from you guys and suggestions on how to make the "psssh" sound :) Thanks
P.S. sorry for my bad english, I'm from Lithuania :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Whats the difference between the Forge Piston Diverter Valve and the Forge Twin Piston Blow-Off Valve in that video? Both can be found at www.genuinesaab.com. Also which model cars are the T5's??

Im new and still learning Saab :)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
you CANNOT run an atmospheric valve on a T7 car (your SAAB 9-5 for example). The computer senses the drop in pressure and thinks there is a vacuum leak, the car will not run correctly. Your only option is to get a BOV with a recirculating attachment, essentially turning it into a BPV, it will just be louder.

Think about what they are, a "diverter" valve literally diverts the air back into the intake stream. A "blow-off" valve, blows the air out, releasing or dumping it.

Yes, some think the sound is neat, but I'd rather having a properly running car than one that runs like crap but makes a cool noise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
you CANNOT run an atmospheric valve on a T7 car (your SAAB 9-5 for example). The computer senses the drop in pressure and thinks there is a vacuum leak, the car will not run correctly. Your only option is to get a BOV with a recirculating attachment, essentially turning it into a BPV, it will just be louder.

Think about what they are, a "diverter" valve literally diverts the air back into the intake stream. A "blow-off" valve, blows the air out, releasing or dumping it.

Yes, some think the sound is neat, but I'd rather having a properly running car than one that runs like crap but makes a cool noise.

Thanks! I dont think you could of been any clearer. Makes perfect sense now!

·
Registered
196 Posts
^ what he said. It will make it noticeable. If you want the sound to be super loud, buy another car :cheesy:

·
Banned
2,243 Posts

soooo how is that 9-5 running a forge BOV and no CEL?

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
Hello, I'm new in this forum but I've been a reader long time ago. I own a 2000 SAAB 9-5 that I wish to modify it a little since I got a job for this summer :)
Anyway, as I've read, SAAB 9-5 can't have an atmospheric blow-off valve (the one that makes "pssssssh" sound) and I'm really upset about it. It may sound stupid but I'd like to ask - is it possible to somehow install atmoshperic blow-off valve. Actually I don't care about the valve, I just want to have a "psssh" sound. By the way, check out this video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7970453765564415050
The person says that there's is no CEL. How he have managed to do it?
Also I've searched for BOV simulators but I couldn't find nothing like atmospheric BOVs.
Also I somewhere read that it is possible to make a homemade atmospheric BOV - disconnect the gum tube out of stock recirculating BOV. I don't know whether it's true or not.
So anyway, I look forward hearing comments from you guys and suggestions on how to make the "psssh" sound :) Thanks
P.S. sorry for my bad english, I'm from Lithuania :)
Get a open air filter and a forge 007 and turn up the boost it will be crazy loud like mine

·
Registered
183 Posts
Get a open air filter and a forge 007 and turn up the boost it will be crazy loud like mine
I know there are a lot of people who would love to hear what your Aero sounds like to kind of give them an idea of how their car could sound. I have a K&N open air filter along with a stronger, adjustable recirc valve. My Bosch started the "hooting" so I bought the adjustable one and have it set for low boost right now since I'm running the smaller turbo (175HP 9-5).
I'm going to need a new turbo soon, hopefully not real soon cuz I'm broke:roll:
I'm gonna upgrade of course, and I'd love to hear a preview of what an Aero with high boost and an open air filter sounds like. Mine sounds great right now, but it doesn't "scare" people like my old SRT-4 did, lol (which was tastefully modded to Stage2/3:cool:). I don't expect it to sound like an SRT-4 of course, that's kinda impossible anyways, but a louder sound than what I have now would be nice.

For the guys that are new to turbo's, you should know that the spool up and release sound will almost always become louder with a bigger turbo and/or more psi, no matter what configuration you're running in the vehicle (bov, bpv, 50/50...). That being said, I can't find a really good video or audio clip showing an example of our car running higher boost with the bpv and an open air filter anywhere.

Got any clips of yours SaabNineThree?

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
I know there are a lot of people who would love to hear what your Aero sounds like to kind of give them an idea of how their car could sound. I have a K&N open air filter along with a stronger, adjustable recirc valve. My Bosch started the "hooting" so I bought the adjustable one and have it set for low boost right now since I'm running the smaller turbo (175HP 9-5).
I'm going to need a new turbo soon, hopefully not real soon cuz I'm broke:roll:
I'm gonna upgrade of course, and I'd love to hear a preview of what an Aero with high boost and an open air filter sounds like. Mine sounds great right now, but it doesn't "scare" people like my old SRT-4 did, lol (which was tastefully modded to Stage2/3:cool:). I don't expect it to sound like an SRT-4 of course, that's kinda impossible anyways, but a louder sound than what I have now would be nice.

For the guys that are new to turbo's, you should know that the spool up and release sound will almost always become louder with a bigger turbo and/or more psi, no matter what configuration you're running in the vehicle (bov, bpv, 50/50...). That being said, I can't find a really good video or audio clip showing an example of our car running higher boost with the bpv and an open air filter anywhere.

Got any clips of yours SaabNineThree?

its louder under load as appose to just revving it but thats it :)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
it probably looks alot better with the headlights, bumper cover, and grille installed also :-D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for the vid, sounds really good, including the exhaust;ol;
I can barely hear my bpv when I rev the engine at a standstill, so I know yours must sound great when it's actually under load. That's what I want to hear:cool:lol.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Louder BPV?

Ok, so I thought about my setup with the adjustable BPV (not a Forge this time, but the one from TheSAABsite.com), and I realized that I've had it on backwards for months (I think?). I took it off and re-attached the main end the way it would be if it was just a BOV with no recirculation, and then added the recirc hose back on to the other end of the BPV. Now it looks like this, and excuse the hoses and clamps, I know I need new ones but I kinda need money to get them;oops::

Now, I had read a few posts on here awhile back about putting it on backwards and it changing the sound, but I didn't realize how much it really changed it. It actually sounds like a BOV now, really close to my Forge 004 I had in my old '99 9-3. I still have it recirc'd through the MAF meter with the open air filter, but it sounds almost like the filter isn't even there.

I'm confused though, would this be considered the "correct" way to install it, or backwards? Because if you compare it to the way the stock Bosch valve is on the car when you buy it, it would be backwards, but if you compare it to the way a BOV would be installed, it would be correct. I know people have said that you can run it either way. All I know is that my car seems to run a little better now (as far as building boost goes) and the BPV sounds so much better. I took my brother for a ride in it right after I changed it and he immediately agreed with me that it is louder now. So I'm pretty happy with it this way;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
The stock orientation is technically backwards. They did it that way to make the stock valve last longer since the pressure wouldn't be pressing right against the diaphragm. There is a lot more force on the valve the way you have it, but I would consider it more efficient for pressure release though. Most aftermarket or even other oem valves can take this orientation fine. I personally have a valve off an evo 8 set up the way you do and it is great.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The stock orientation is technically backwards. They did it that way to make the stock valve last longer since the pressure wouldn't be pressing right against the diaphragm. There is a lot more force on the valve the way you have it, but I would consider it more efficient for pressure release though. Most aftermarket or even other oem valves can take this orientation fine. I personally have a valve off an evo 8 set up the way you do and it is great.
I knew there was a difference in the valves (diaphragm and piston), but I never even realized that the Bosch came stock installed backwards until now, and I never knew why either. Thanks for the info Mrmegnum;ol;

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re-Circ valve

Maptun do a recirculating dump valve. Has anyone fitted one and does it have any benefit over the stock valve - other than looking better?

1 - 20 of 154 Posts
About this Discussion
153 Replies
27 Participants
AceDeuce22
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing