SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here but this has been on my mind for a while...My friend has a 2002 rsx type-s and I'm just wondering whether or not it could take on a 9-5 aero. The answer may be obvious but I'm curious. I currently drive a volvo v70xc (planning to buy a Saab soon) so I don't have the luxury of finding out for myself...yet. I've spoken to other rsx guys and they said it could smoke any Saab :roll:. I don't believe them. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Im almost sure that from 0-100 it will be a close one. I actually think they have similar 0-60 times, but from a roll start onwards, you would defintely eat him alive :cool:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
In a quarter mile run it would be about the same. From a roll on the highway the RSX would get eaten alive. Those honda guys think they could beat a top fuel dragster if you asked them. :roll: The problem for the 9-5 is traction, it can't really put all of it's power down til 3rd gear.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The Cross Country would probably rape it. My mom's XC seems to have amazing acceleration... Can't speak for the 9-5 though. ;)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
My money would be on the 9-5. I've found that a good majority of honda/acura drivers have no idea how to drive. No offense to your friend, though :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
stromer said:
My money would be on the 9-5. I've found that a good majority of honda/acura drivers have no idea how to drive. No offense to your friend, though :cheesy:
sure they know how to drive, they know enough to not granny shift and double clutch and all that stuff that makes you faster and more furious.... cough :roll:

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Who remembers the video of the 9-5 with Jeremy Clarkson. Faster than a 911 from like 30 to 50mph or something like that :cheesy:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well I own a 02 Viggen which is essentially the same in power as a 9-5 Aero and my viggen has destroyed many cars including RSX's. There is no way that it will even compete with an Aero from a roll like others have said.

On a side note I just basically got my car out from not driving it in the winter and after allowing it to re learn my driving habits over the past couple of days the car is a monster!! I suprises me everytime. I had a friend with me who owns a Z4 and 530i M package and he said the Viggen is the fastest car he has ever been in and his cars wouldn't stand a chance...and both those BMW's would smoke a RSX

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess the thing about honda drivers is that they think vtec can do almost anything. Possibly beating a dragster too :roll: , as mentioned by raven. Those honda guys don't know what they're talking about. It would be nice to have an aero to piss off those people who think their imports are the fastest cars on the road. It would be fun to smoke my friend's rsx though :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I saw the vid too. If it could do that. do you think it could potentially take on an sti or evo on a roll? I'm not really an advocate for street racing but I'm very curious now. I can just imagine the look on people's faces ;oops: when they get killed by a saab.

X

·
0 Posts
Vector-SS said:
Who remembers the video of the 9-5 with Jeremy Clarkson. Faster than a 911 from like 30 to 50mph or something like that :cheesy:
Heres a link to mentioned Top gear report, its somewhere near the end of the clip "Aero model 250bhp 0 - 60 in 6 sec, top speed 155 mph, 40 - 70 mph quicker than a Porshe 911 turbo :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

TOP GEAR LINK CLICK HERE

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Ask the average person of a VTEC equipped car what it even stans for, they won't know. I asked one guy who had a VTEC windsheild banner strip, be guessed wrong. Isn't it Valve timing electron control? I can't remember now.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
in a legal setting....Ive raced my freinds rsx type s(2002 or something) and my other freinds civic SI

from a standstill, lost to them both... doing roughly the quarter mile. But when we raced from traffic light to traffic light...prolly about half a mile, maybe three quarters of a mile....I killed both of them, like maybe 8 car lengths ahead in the last third of the race

so yea, this is a HOT 9-3...and the 95 has even more power, so when you race them, just make sure its a long race .....the races that are "from a roll" dont really happen when they are planned...like you dont get a fair start cuase you both have to be side by side going 20 or 30 or so...so its to hard to actually agree when to start when you are racing. I would challenge your bud to a half mile, maybe even mile race....I can promise you that you will kill him

vtec=Variable Timing and Lift Electronic Control System

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
so it should really be vtlecs or vtalecs...those wouldn't look so good on a windsheld...

·
Registered
611 Posts
I should also add I have pulled on a S2000 (2000), M3 (1997), Audi A4 2.8 (1998), Audi A4 1.8 chipped (1999), 350Z Track (2003) and a WRX modded to the specs of an STI (2002), these are all from a roll and the viggen pulled them all. They are all friends of mine so I know they were trying and not just someone I pulled beside on the street

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Well, as a chance to post a few kills (we all want to!) I can say that with my 99 9-3 non HOT, back when it was stock, I pulled on a lot of cars as well. Eclipse GSX (or whateevr the letters of the turbo model are), RX-8, F-150 lightning, 00 maxima, accord v-6 the new one, passat w8, an old 68 ish vette (that was fun), mustang GT, and an RSX or two. I know a lot of those were attributed to the drivers, timing, traction and other variables. These may not be as impressive as your Viggen guys, but I'm pround :cheesy: And now with the new mods, I have some new additions as well.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweet! I can't wait to get a Saab now! Getting bored of driving a v70. Hey, if anyone has more kills to post, please do so. I would absolutely love to find out what other cars Saabs could own.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I don't think this would technically be by the rules, but you know. For the record mine really were at legal speeds. With my *** luck, I can't risk a ticket and loosing my liscence!!!!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
A place close to me advertised a new RX-8 automatic for I think $19,995. I know the autos were even less power than the standards. Even if they are a little over-rated, they handle amazingly. With the price down lower like that, it'd be a neat car to have. If only I could justify it as my daily driver. But then I'd have to get rid of the Saab. Oh, forget the Mazda now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts