SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be a read, sorry here goes.
So in my original post I talked about my Saab 9-5 and how it idles fairly rough and gets very slow acceleration off the line and low boost (not getting into the red at all). I've spent quite a bit of time working on this car trying to get it up to snuff but I can't seem to get it where I think it needs to be. I'll try to be as organized as I can but there is a lot of info to put here hopefully you guys will be able to help me decipher what's going on.

Car details.

* 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero

*126 K miles

*K&N air filter (clean).

Symptoms.

*Slow off the line acceleration.

*Rough idle.

* Sometimes the car "stutters" if held at certain throttle positions, either decreasing or increasing throttle will make this go away.

*Boost gauge never gets into the red.

What I've done to attempt to fix the car.

I started to get the low oil pressure at idle warning light coming on, I've since fixed that and it's no longer happening but some of these things that I will list were to solve that problem.

* Drop oil pan, clean oil pickup tube and scrub oil pan clean. There was very little sludge in it so it looks as if that wasn't the problem with the oil light flickering.

*Replace Oil sender unit.

*Complete PCV system update, new hoses and all.

*Remove valve cover and inspect cams, everything here was fine except one of the tubes coming off of the valve cover was clogged (not the one over the timing chain) I cleaned it out and it's now flowing.

*Re-torque head bolts.

*Check wastegate acutator rod and assembly. The wastegate flapper valve was not seating tightly when at rest, adjusted rod and reconnected to have it seat firmly.

*Replaced plugs with new NGK (oem recommended ones)

*Cleaned MAF with CRC MAF cleaner.

*Cleaned Throttlebody with valvoline TB and Carb cleaner.

*New Mobil1 10W30 oil with napa gold filter (I hear this is manufactured by WIX and the OEM filter)

*Change white PCV valve along the fuel rail (the old one was super shot)

*Attempted "bolt fix" did not change boost.

*Connected an ODBII scanner and read any codes (there were none.)

Additional info

*The guy I bought it from was running regular in it I've gone through two tanks of premium now.

*When I had the downpipe off to drop the oil pan I blew through it it defintely gave a bit of resistance.

*Turbo does not smoke when starting (or running as far as I know.)

*Used Lucas Fuel injector cleaner.

*Replaced fuel filter.

*Reset ecu by pulling the fuse and disconnecting the battery.

Possible Causes?

Right now my number one guess is a blocked cat. I really hope it isn't the case because they are pretty pricey and I'd like to not have to replace it. Other than that I'm guessing that the turbo may not be able to produce the boost necessary or there's a leak somewhere in the tubing is there a good way to check for a leak? However this wouldn't really explain the rough idle and stuttering, and slow off the line acceleration. Any advice or anyone else who's seen this before and what cured your problem would be greatly appreciated. I've looked in the forums and other sites and pretty much everything that has been suggested as a cause I've done my best to eliminate. Also if you have any questions that may make the it easier to diagnose let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,297 Posts
This is going to be a read, sorry here goes.
So in my original post I talked about my Saab 9-5 and how it idles fairly rough and gets very slow acceleration off the line and low boost (not getting into the red at all). I've spent quite a bit of time working on this car trying to get it up to snuff but I can't seem to get it where I think it needs to be. I'll try to be as organized as I can but there is a lot of info to put here hopefully you guys will be able to help me decipher what's going on.

Car details.

* 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero

*126 K miles

*K&N air filter (clean).

Symptoms.

*Slow off the line acceleration.

*Rough idle.

* Sometimes the car "stutters" if held at certain throttle positions, either decreasing or increasing throttle will make this go away.

*Boost gauge never gets into the red.

What I've done to attempt to fix the car.

I started to get the low oil pressure at idle warning light coming on, I've since fixed that and it's no longer happening but some of these things that I will list were to solve that problem.

* Drop oil pan, clean oil pickup tube and scrub oil pan clean. There was very little sludge in it so it looks as if that wasn't the problem with the oil light flickering.

*Replace Oil sender unit.

*Complete PCV system update, new hoses and all.

*Remove valve cover and inspect cams, everything here was fine except one of the tubes coming off of the valve cover was clogged (not the one over the timing chain) I cleaned it out and it's now flowing.

*Re-torque head bolts.

*Check wastegate acutator rod and assembly. The wastegate flapper valve was not seating tightly when at rest, adjusted rod and reconnected to have it seat firmly.

*Replaced plugs with new NGK (oem recommended ones)

*Cleaned MAF with CRC MAF cleaner.

*Cleaned Throttlebody with valvoline TB and Carb cleaner.

*New Mobil1 10W30 oil with napa gold filter (I hear this is manufactured by WIX and the OEM filter)

*Change white PCV valve along the fuel rail (the old one was super shot)

*Attempted "bolt fix" did not change boost.

*Connected an ODBII scanner and read any codes (there were none.)

Additional info

*The guy I bought it from was running regular in it I've gone through two tanks of premium now.

*When I had the downpipe off to drop the oil pan I blew through it it defintely gave a bit of resistance.

*Turbo does not smoke when starting (or running as far as I know.)

*Used Lucas Fuel injector cleaner.

*Replaced fuel filter.

*Reset ecu by pulling the fuse and disconnecting the battery.

Possible Causes?

Right now my number one guess is a blocked cat. I really hope it isn't the case because they are pretty pricey and I'd like to not have to replace it. Other than that I'm guessing that the turbo may not be able to produce the boost necessary or there's a leak somewhere in the tubing is there a good way to check for a leak? However this wouldn't really explain the rough idle and stuttering, and slow off the line acceleration. Any advice or anyone else who's seen this before and what cured your problem would be greatly appreciated. I've looked in the forums and other sites and pretty much everything that has been suggested as a cause I've done my best to eliminate. Also if you have any questions that may make the it easier to diagnose let me know. Thanks!

What about the CPS?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So looking into it after your suggestion, it seems like it could be my problem. Though I have to say that I've never had a problem with starting while hot, or having it give me issues when running. But since the part is relatively cheap then i'll probably swap it out as it seems to be common thing to do with cars over 100k mi. Though I'm still open to suggestions if anyone else has some.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You do spit a little smoke when shifting. But I'm guessing that's additional fuel that the engine isn't using during the shift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts