SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I changed the jalousie on my Saab 9.5 (2004, EU Model) Automatic by removing the gear shifter etc. To do this I disconnected the Battery, of course, as I needed to remove, among other things, the Sport Button. So all in all the SID (I think it is called the SID unit, correct?) was disconnected for maybe a few hours (had lunch in-between).

This AM I noted that my SID system is confused.

Some of the symptoms are:
• RDS retime is also not working (pushing both small buttons left under the time display).
• The setup-screens are confused: not displaying all text.
• The setup-screens are confused; some buttons on the touch screen do not work.
• The ‘adjust’ setup-screen shows on the top half the navigation screen.
• Cannot set up the clock manually.
• And a few more.

I tried to disconnect the battery again for about a minute, but this did not work.

Anybody any suggestions? I hope so as I did not find anything on the Internet.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
Pic 2: push adj button.
Is your car in cellar etc without direct field to satellites? You do not have satellite time, so you can not adjust time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mimmi, thanks for answering. And no worries for not being a mindreader, most Saab drivers are not.

Pic 2: push adj button.
There is a clear button but not a adj button in pic 2. you mean that? The clear button resets the SID unit, stuff like milage/petrol use etc. But not the navi unit as far as I know. Or do I not understand correctly?

Is your car in cellar etc without direct field to satellites? You do not have satellite time, so you can not adjust time.
Yes it is parked in the Garage, however the RDS retime also does not work on the road. Neither does the Sat/Nav stop showing the split screen etc.

And above all it is my sat/nav unit that shows the split screen (pic 2) and has touch buttons on the screen (pic 3 like the 24h button and others) that do not work/respond. You also can see that GPS time and Time Zone stay blank (pic 3). I would say the computer hangs. Or?

Is there maybe a reset button somewhere to reboot it? Or what could cause this?

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
Adj button is in nav, not in SID.
You have bad nav antenna or broken/unplugged nav antenna cable.
Nav antenna is in shark fin (where bangladesh versions have either blank or only telephone antenna, you have both).

I have replaced it to NG9-5 nav/onstar/phone/xm antenna. For this, you need to modify either roof or antenna, I chose modify antenna fitting to roof.
NeoBros sells NG9-5 shark fin in reasonable price. https://www.neobrothers.co.uk/antenna-aerial-shark-fin-9-5-10-12-two-wire-wphone--sat-nav-4882-p.asp

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Mimmi, thanks.

Adj button is in nav, not in SID.
OK I have an other look and the adj button is the one where I get in to the other screens that I show in picture 2 and 3. or does it have an other function?

You have bad nav antenna or broken/unplugged nav antenna cable.
Nav antenna is in shark fin (where bangladesh versions have either blank or only telephone antenna, you have both).
OK could be. However this could be a 1 in I do not how many change it happens after I do a repair to the gear shifter. Two unrelated items I would say, or? And FYI, an hour before the repair it was working fine.

Unless there is a cable coming by around the gear shifter that I disturbed. Is there?

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
Adj button means adjustment(s). So you can change backlight color etc with it.
If you car has Denso nav system (as in pic), your car is actually MY 2005.
In Denso, all antennas comes to head unit, so, I double check antenna connector in back of HU.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Mimmi, thanks.

Adj button means adjustment(s). So you can change backlight color etc with it.
Yes and exactly there is where the challenges are. I can no longer adjust stuff. Backlight yes, clock and stuff no.

If you car has Denso nav system (as in pic), your car is actually MY 2005. .
Wow, I did not know this. All that from the one picture eh? Thanks.

In Denso, all antennas comes to head unit, so, I double check antenna connector in back of HU.
The ‘Head Unit’, I assume, is the box containing the screen in the front. See mine also has a CD changer in the boot, but that has nothing to do with it I assume, correct?
In which case the HU needs to come out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greetings, update.

(@Mimmi this overlaps a bit with my answer to you, hopefully ok with you)

I did two runs yesterday of about 35 miles each. During the drive I used to Navigation system in order to see how well it works given the challenges I have with the whole box. The routes I took are known to me, so I could check up on the system. It worked flawless. However I noted that the GPS indicator reported that it had not GPS (It is on the left almost on the top and a white box with GPS written in it and it was crossed out). I have never seen this appear before in the open air, besides from in the garage.

It took about between 5 and 10 minutes for the no GPS sign to go away.

Once it was gone, it did however not solve the problem I was not being able to set the time zone and the clock etc. (picture 3). Those fields remain blocked in a way.

So I expect there is an antenna problem. It pops the following questions for me:
1 Is there an easy way to check if the shark fin on the roof is faulty?
2 Are there any cables I could have disturbed replacing the jalousie?
3 Any tips?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
Head unit is your nav system main unit, which is in dash.
CD changer will not cause any issues, it is simply connected to head unit with power and signal cables. Signal cables is for CD audio signals only. CD changer is also married with your car and it communicates with your car (and TECH2) via I-bus. However CD changer will not work without (basic or nav) radio head unit.

1: Nav antenna check: you need either TECH2 or signal analyzer for checking antenna signal.
2: Nav antenna cable (route is not via gear stick)
3: Remove HU and recheck nav antenna cable and its connector to HU.
Head unit removal: you need Denso removal tools (4).
You can remove ACC and check if there is loose cabes.

Worst case scenario: you have bad HU.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
more info - bug

OK I discovered more. Via the Saab Club NL I found the following info. It is, apparently, a known problem and seems to be a software fault.

If you disconnect the Battery it happens. You can no longer set the clock and there is a stripe through the GPS symbol. However the Navigation still works so there seems to be a GPS signal.

It is a software bug in all Denso units from 2005 till 2010. US Cadillac’s apparently have it too and apparently the Corvette C6 has it too. According to the poster is GM working on it.

If I find out more I post.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,523 Posts
Found more, following cars have the same problem:

Corvettes, Cadiillac STS's, Tahoes, and Suburbans are all affected.
ALL Denso NAV units installed as OEM for GM vehicles dating from prior to 2005 to 2010 are all affected. It has to do with a binary calculation of weeks (Our units recognize weeks 0-1023 = 1024 weeks). The new satellites that were recently launched start at week 1024 and end their cycle at week 2048. The older Denso systems don't recognize dates after the rollover. So when it asks the satellite "Hey man! What week is this?" The satellite says "Hey buddy, we're in week 1024". The Denso says "can you translate that? I don't understand". The satellite then doesn't understand since it can't go BACK prior to week 1024.
So the clock gets grayed out and you can't set anything because both the satellite and the Nav unit are no longer talking the same language regarding current date and time which has nothing to do with Estimated time of arrival when Nav is active. That's why the Nav works, but the date and time for the clock don't work anymore. I believe this all started mid-end of Dec 2018.

I've heard through the grapevine that a fix is coming and should be ready sometime in April.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ALL Denso NAV units installed as OEM for GM vehicles dating from prior to 2005 to 2010 are all affected. It has to do with a binary calculation of weeks (Our units recognize weeks 0-1023 = 1024 weeks). The new satellites that were recently launched start at week 1024 and end their cycle at week 2048. The older Denso systems don't recognize dates after the rollover. So when it asks the satellite "Hey man! What week is this?" The satellite says "Hey buddy, we're in week 1024". The Denso says "can you translate that? I don't understand". The satellite then doesn't understand since it can't go BACK prior to week 1024.
So the clock gets grayed out and you can't set anything because both the satellite and the Nav unit are no longer talking the same language regarding current date and time which has nothing to do with Estimated time of arrival when Nav is active. That's why the Nav works, but the date and time for the clock don't work anymore. I believe this all started mid-end of Dec 2018.

I've heard through the grapevine that a fix is coming and should be ready sometime in April.
This is correct as far as my information goes as well, found a link about it and thought I had posted it here.

The question that nobody can answer presently is if they will bring out a universal fix for al units or vehicle bound. Apparently the Saab (some folk claim) units are VIN bound, others not. Or so I read somewhere.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,523 Posts
This is correct as far as my information goes as well, found a link about it and thought I had posted it here.

The question that nobody can answer presently is if they will bring out a universal fix for al units or vehicle bound. Apparently the Saab (some folk claim) units are VIN bound, others not. Or so I read somewhere.
The head unit is VIN bound (prevents theft since you can't just plug it into another car). Most cars are like that now so it's not a SAAB special thing.
The fix should be a firmware update, at least that's what makes sense to me.
The real question is: HOW will they provide the update? Purchase from the GM Nav site? Buy it from a dealer? Or free update since they ultimately made the mistake to begin with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.