·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I had the Turbo on my 9-3 2,0t 2003 model replaced due to heavy
smoke from the exhaust.I saw the old Turbo and it had fresh oil in
the casing. After the new Turbo was replaced the smoke is even worse
than before and the oil actually came out at the tail-pipe.
The turbo was returned to the vendoe but they said it has no problems,
and just needed now to be cleaned and readjusted?
So something in the aspiration is forcing the oil out into the exhaust?
Does the Saab 9-3SS also have a similar PCV or crank case vent as the
9-5?? and would that maybe be the problem. I already laid down 1600 Euro for repair so i would much appreciate any advises here.

Pcviking

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pcv 9-3

I can now answer part of my question myself after some research :cool:
So the 9-3SS does not have the same type PCV as the older version 9-3 and 9-5, but it has crankcase vent. So far as I can understand the PCV
is worked into the Turbo function and works in 2 stages weather the engine have a low or high load. At low loads there is a negative pressure
or it 'sucks' where at high loads its a positive pressure, it blows..
In the circuit there is a check valve and also the oil-trap to separate the oil. At low loads the vent goes via the intake manifold and at high back via the Turbo inlet. Maybe somebody can explain it better.
Well this still does not explain how i can loose a quart of oil after 15 minutes idle???

Pcviking

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi PCViking,

I can see it's been some time now, but if you're still in the forum, would you be able to tell me/us what the outcome/fix was..? PCV valve in the inlet manifold..? I'm in a similar situation.. thanx

lm

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same Issue

I had this same issue after replacing my turbo. The oil return line was partially clogged. I removed the oil return line and cleaned it out, and it solved the issue.

It was smoking something terrible, and using oil at an alarming rate.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If it's smoking :
Is it oil?
If yes:
Check your turbo shaft play
Oil return line

Your problem could have been like mine. Changed the turbo, but still had a lot of oil in the IC and exhaust, so it smoked like hell. Even the firefighter came!

I had to go for a ride at night, to clean it all. It took 10-15 km of highway to get rid of it all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanx guys,

the new turbo was a rebuilt one and the old one had some play, no obvious evidence of oil gunking but, unfortunately we did not fully remove and check the oil return line.. ;oops:

Car was driven 200km after turbo replacement, but the smoke and oil consumption was still there.

We believe the "original/before" problem was oil being fed back into Inlet and burned. There was no evidence of oil in/around Cat Converter

Now we think:
- bad "new" turbo ---- unlikely, leave it for very last thing
- oil return line ---- we will try to check it with compressed air via the dipstick tube
- PCV Valve inside Inlet M'fold ---- easier job, will do first
- Valve stem seals ---- difficult job, we'll do last

All this will happen over the next few weeks but I will keep you posted..

lm

·
Registered
32 Posts
When checking the oil return line, mine was not totally blocked at all, so i do not know if the air line trick will prove it.

There is a metal bend, and mine has some build up there. I cleaned it out with brake cleaner and round brushes i could scrub the inside of the pipe. It is just gravity fed, so any buildup can slow down how quickly the line can drain.

It might be easier just to replace that line versus some of the other options you are looking at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts