SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thats pretty cools. (excuse my ignorance) so its a fully functioning computer that you can store, Mp3s, vids etc. How do you update the content or is it linked to wi-fi, 3g phone or something ?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Does it integrate with the MOSTnet system to give the indicator clicks and warning beeps and bongs that the car gives? I know that the EHU does other stuff than just the radio.

Have to say, the quality of the install looks superb - though I am not a big fan of the wood effect trim. Each to their own. Good work, love to see the end results.

I guess that there is little trouble with iPod integration.....:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Aero_adam said:
Does it integrate with the MOSTnet system to give the indicator clicks and warning beeps and bongs that the car gives? I know that the EHU does other stuff than just the radio.

Have to say, the quality of the install looks superb - though I am not a big fan of the wood effect trim. Each to their own. Good work, love to see the end results.

I guess that there is little trouble with iPod integration.....:D
If it can be done that's a prety cool idea! I love how well the LCD and the Mac fit in the 9.3 dash. the Mini works perfectly there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Power?

How do you power the computer? What happens when you turn your car off? Does the computer power down gracefully?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,

The basic features are as such:

1. Wifi & Bluetooth connectitivy
2. Multimedia support, MP3, WAV, Audio CD, DVD, Movies, etc.
3. Calendar
4. Email & Web Browsing
5. Address book
6. iSync allows you to sync your stuff to your .Mac account to be synced to another computer or sync with your Phone
7. mobyCar Dashboard software
8. FM tuner
9. 512MB RAM & 80GB harddisk
10. CDRW + DVDROM (Slot drive)
11. 4 Port USB Hub for expansion (on Mac Mini it has 2 USB ports + 1 Firewire)
12. Bluetooth phone integration (selected bluetooth phones) - call alerts, sms, etc.
13. 7" touch screen (VGA input + 2 x AV input) - can use AV input for TV tuner or backup camera.
14. Photo slide show (for background + screensaver)

So what more can you do with that setup? When you're on the run you can connect to the internet from your mobyCar via bluetooth to your phone and then use GPRS or 3G to connect.

The system turns on when you turn on/off along with the ignition.

Todos:
- Re-write the warning sounds and signal beeps
- Steering wheel control integration to control the Mac Mini
- Virtual guages (show engine stats)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Holy Shhh! Thats my wet dream a Mac in my Saab, AWESOME!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Piperclub said:
Hi All,

The basic features are as such:

1. Wifi & Bluetooth connectitivy
2. Multimedia support, MP3, WAV, Audio CD, DVD, Movies, etc.
3. Calendar
4. Email & Web Browsing
5. Address book
6. iSync allows you to sync your stuff to your .Mac account to be synced to another computer or sync with your Phone
7. mobyCar Dashboard software
8. FM tuner
9. 512MB RAM & 80GB harddisk
10. CDRW + DVDROM (Slot drive)
11. 4 Port USB Hub for expansion (on Mac Mini it has 2 USB ports + 1 Firewire)
12. Bluetooth phone integration (selected bluetooth phones) - call alerts, sms, etc.
13. 7" touch screen (VGA input + 2 x AV input) - can use AV input for TV tuner or backup camera.
14. Photo slide show (for background + screensaver)

So what more can you do with that setup? When you're on the run you can connect to the internet from your mobyCar via bluetooth to your phone and then use GPRS or 3G to connect.

The system turns on when you turn on/off along with the ignition.

Todos:
- Re-write the warning sounds and signal beeps
- Steering wheel control integration to control the Mac Mini
- Virtual guages (show engine stats)

Hope this helps.
How do you power the computer and have it shutdown gracefully when you turn the car off?

·
Registered
86 Posts
how cool would it be if somehow he could make the usless "-" button used as the power swtich for the computer, then i think this would be the coolest 9-3 mod ever (if it isnt already)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am about to do something similar. What power inverter did you use and did you have any dificulties with powering the Mac Mini?

You can definitely make the "-" function as a power switch. You could also relocate the mac mini power button. I am toying with an idea to enable auto power up and shut-down that I would be glad to share. PM me for more info.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Programming isn't hard. There are numerous open source projects specifically geared towards using a Mac in a car. They are designed to provide easy access to information, music, etc. The biggest issues are providing proper/safe power (avoiding power downs when you shut off the car, preventing battery drain) and implement the software and input devices in such a way that they don't compromise saftey and driveability.

I'm excited to see the results. The poster is definitely taking a more amibitious approach. I'm not sure I'd have the guts or expertise to dig into my dash like that but I'm a bit of a wimp about these things.

·
Banned
975 Posts
"geek my ride" - good book to start with for those of you who are unfamiliar with carputers

Here are a few questions....why a mac?!?!? why not mini itx or micro atx? Is it touch screen? What are you doing about your radio?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
inverter creates too much electrical noise so you can't get very good sound quality from your stereo (or Mac)

we've added a power button like that similar to the one found at the back of the Mac Mini to the bezel... heheheh...

Why the Mac Mini? Don't you guys agree the Mac Mini is absolutely sexy when fitting into the dash?

The bezel was hand made... but we're thinking if there is enough interest, we'll make a mould and produce that in quantities.

a lot of the Mac based frontends for carpc is in the very early stages of development, we have a 90% completed version of ours... again I'll post the pics later on...

We've done steering wheel integration on the BMWs, we just have to hack the Saab 9-3 and develop the software that would "talk" to the car. :)

the system currently auto powers up and auto shuts down.... there will be a master switch somewhere for the driver to manual overwrite that though.

oh did i mention that there is a small USB hub right under the ash tray? in case you wanted to plug a thumbdrive/keyboard/digital camera....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts