SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Ive just bought another saab 9-3 convertible 2,8 V6 manual, its a late 2007 model with the facelift dash but still a mk1

I also own a 9-5 Aero 2004 and have allways had 9-5 aeros as my every day cars as ive allways found them to be the perfect everyday day, very practical with loads of space and performance and good on fuel too!

Ive not really had any issue with any of my 9-5s apart from the odd coil pack unit packing up however with the 9-3 aeros ive owned ive allways encountered issues!!!

This one has the ABS, Traction control failiure and its in limp mode!

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what could cause these multiple issues to all come up suddenly, I heard something about an ABS sensor or speed sensor could be the issue, And was wondering is there anyway to reset the limp mode by doing the little throttle body cable thing, which stops the cable opening the flap on the throotle body or does this only work on the 2.0 litre engines?

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated as Ive just lost all trust in most garages due to previous bad experiences with being ripped off soo many times!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
No cable thing on the 9-3's, they are all throttle by wire. You could disconnect the negative side of the battery and let it sit for a few minutes to reset or remove the ECU fuse, which off the top of my head is #3 &#4 10amp fuses in the engine bay, driver side. Could be wrong about the placement.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No cable thing on the 9-3's, they are all throttle by wire. You could disconnect the negative side of the battery and let it sit for a few minutes to reset or remove the ECU fuse, which off the top of my head is #3 &#4 10amp fuses in the engine bay, driver side. Could be wrong about the placement.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

I will try both things you mentioned, Ive heard that battery issues cause these sort of faults aswell however my battery is fine!

The cable thing i mentioned I saw here https://www.saabplanet.com/how-to-reset-saab-limp-mode-video/

Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've seen that video, but it's only applicable to Trionic 7. The 93SS with 2.0 uses Trionic 8 and the 2.8V6 uses Bosch ME9

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen that video, but it's only applicable to Trionic 7. The 93SS with 2.0 uses Trionic 8 and the 2.8V6 uses Bosch ME9

Ok Thanks mate,

Thats why I posted on here because Of people like you who know their stuff, Im clueless on anything like this so any advice is Greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
ABS module for V6 is not shared with 2.0T.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys,

I managed to get my hands on an OBD scanner and got the following codes, P0102 MASS OR VOLUME FLOW A CIRCUIT LOW, and P0018 CRANKSHAFT POSITION CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION BANK 2 SENSOR A

I just drove the car today on a 180 mile round trip, and its basically running in limited performance mode with hardly and boost from the turbo and also showing the traction or stability control warning (not working) and engine management light aswell,

the engine is extremely smooth and almost feels like its switched off on idle at stop lights etc so im sure theres no issue with the engine however I noticed that the mass flow sensor which i added a pic of basically when unplugged the car idles fine and drives but with limited performance however when I plug the plug in the car will start and run then idle up and down then cut out or will run and idel up and down,

I checked the sensor by unscrewing it and it doesnt have a resistor on the two metal pins on the outside as I thought it should have but has a picture of a resistor where i thought a resistor should be?? I will unscrew it and add a pic!

ive read scary things about the P0018 code that it could be a stretched chain or the chain could of skipped a cog etc however it runs soo smooth but no power so not sure where to start?

Any info or ideas would be appreciated as i cant afford to just buy various sensors etc just to test things but would obviously like to get this sorted and hopefully its not a chain issue as I know that will be costly.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys,

My 07 saab 9-3 aero v6 convertible mk1 is in limited performance mode plus stability control failiure and engine management light is also on.

When I remove the plug for the maf sensor the engine runs smooth and quiet however when plugged back in it idles up and down and cuts out!

I managed to get my hands on an OBD scanner and got the following codes, P0102 MASS OR VOLUME FLOW A CIRCUIT LOW, and P0018 CRANKSHAFT POSITION CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION BANK 2 SENSOR A and P0016 crankshaft position camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A

I just drove the car today on a 180 mile round trip, and its basically running in limited performance mode with hardly and boost from the turbo and also showing the traction or stability control warning (not working) and engine management light aswell,

the engine is extremely smooth and almost feels like its switched off on idle at stop lights etc so im sure theres no issue with the engine however I noticed that the mass flow sensor which i added a pic of basically when unplugged the car idles fine and drives but with limited performance however when I plug the plug in the car will start and run then idle up and down then cut out or will run and idel up and down,

ive read scary things about the P0018 and P0016 codes that it could be a stretched chain or the chain could of skipped a cog etc however it runs soo smooth but no power so not sure where to start?

Would these codes show up due to the maf being unplugged?

Any info or ideas would be appreciated as i cant afford to just buy various sensors etc just to test things but would obviously like to get this sorted and hopefully its not a chain issue as I know that will be costly.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The MAF code will pop if u unplug it, the other codes are stretched timing chain ..
Unplugging the MAF will put the car in the default fuel strategy, if it runs good when the MAF unplugged could be bad MAF, O2, vacuum leak ... etc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply and info Hus

I will change the maf sensor then also check all the hoses etc, with the codes its strange because the car idles soo smoothly and the engine is very quiet with no rattles etc so im praying that its not a stretched chain! lol

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Im telling u, the P0016&18 are for sure chain issue, the MAF will not solve these.
If both O2 flat dead when it happen i will have to say exclude the O2 sensor, a MAF is a good possibility, fuel pressure next

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,

Thanks for the info, I found the drivers side RHD car under the air filter filter box side under the car, that side of the intercooler the hose was off and the clamp was missing so i put it back on and put a clamp on aswell and now when I start the car with maf plug connected the car runs and doesnt cut out like before but running very rough like misfiring.

The thing im trying to work out because im using a cheap ebay obd2 scanner for the fault codes which i paid £11 pounds for, why does the car run extremely smooth and quiet with the maf disconnected, I would think that if theres a chain or tensioner issue it would still rattle and sound rough either way?

Is it possible that i have bad crackshaft or camshaft sensors?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
P0016 & P0018 will cause the car to run rough slightly under load then it progresses to be rougher until the chain is way off where it even runs rough on idle.
Meaning if ur car still in the early stages, the chain issue will not be a factor on idle, what u r experiencing is a fuel trim issue.
Lest start by this, first good job of finding that big air leak, but after the repair, u will need to zero the fuel trim and let the car adapt again to make sure is not just the old adaptation now going in the wrong direction (being rich).
Disconnect the battery for 1 hour, then start the car, leave it at idle until it warms up (temp needle horizontal) and 15 min after that turn it off, only then u can check how is it running, and whats the effect of unplugging the MAF on idle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Hus

I did disconnect the battery hoping to reset the ecu etc and then tried the diagnostic check again but only for max 30 mins or so, but i will leave the battery disconnected for at least an hour and then run the car like you said and see what happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts