SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Yall,

Newbie here, so forgive my innocence. I have a 2002 9-3 convertible with a 5 speed manual transmission. Recently I've been having trouble getting it into reverse and it grinds a little going into 5th. I usually have to be rolling backwards to get it into reverse, even if its just a few inches, like rolling onto and off of a curb or something, and sometimes if I turn the car off, it will go into reverse if I let it sit for a few minutes.
I have about 92k miles on it, it was driven very softly and only in the summer for the first 47k, then its been an every day car since. I don't drive it very hard, there's a new clutch (90k miles) and I've been good with oil and fluid changes. I took it to a saab dealer and they said I need a new transmission, but it still drives really well, so I find that a little hard to believe.
I'm sure you all know this, but I find it interesting that the problem happens only when I'm on the right side of the shifter, in 5th and Reverse, could there be something wrong with the gearbox or synchromesh or something like that? I don't know much about cars, but those are some things I've heard from some friends who do.

I know a new transmission would be really expensive, does anyone have any other less-expensive solutions?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Hi, and Welcome! - first, you'll probably want to repost in this forum:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

We're the newer style 93's here which are quite different.

However, I used to have an ng900/9-3, and I had a similar problem to yours. Unfortunately, the transmissions do seem to fail, I wound up having to replace mine. You might buy some time either adjusting the clutch, fiddling with the linkage, or maybe changing the transmission oil. Folks in the other forum can provide better and current advice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, and Welcome! - first, you'll probably want to repost in this forum:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

We're the newer style 93's here which are quite different.

However, I used to have an ng900/9-3, and I had a similar problem to yours. Unfortunately, the transmissions do seem to fail, I wound up having to replace mine. You might buy some time either adjusting the clutch, fiddling with the linkage, or maybe changing the transmission oil. Folks in the other forum can provide better and current advice!
Thanks JMarkert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts