SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Saab 9-3, sportkombi, 2010
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Recently I have noticed that in lower gears (2 and 3) the car sometimes pulls strongly to the right while driving. Anyone else experience something similar? I have had the wheels balanced and tested - all fine. The car has been to the garage/mechanics twice and they can't identify the problem! The problem is ocassional and I can't see a pattern - it's very frustrating! Any/all ideas gratefully received! Thanks!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Does this occur under coasting, acceleration, braking, or in all scenarios? I'm assuming that you're not referring to typical torque steer; sometimes it's an indicator of a more subtle suspension issue such as worn bushings, other times it can simply be due to uneven tire pressures. My 2nd vehicle is very sensitive to tire pressure differences. Even at just 2 psi difference between a right & left tire will make it noticeably pull to one side.

Without knowing if accel/decel or coasting changes your issue, tire pressure is a quick & easy starting point...subframe bushings would be my next area to check out although thoroughly looking at all suspension components and making sure they're torqued correctly never hurts. Anecdotally I know one guy that had his tie rod end loose. When the car was aligned they obviously tightened the side they worked on, but the other side (inner/outer) was never re-checked (during more than one alignment) & actually changed his alignment while driving. Often the alignment guy is a technician & not a mechanic.

·
Registered
Saab 9-3, sportkombi, 2010
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - thank for you reply! I will definitely check the tire pressures – that much I am capable of myself! The problem is intermittent which makes it even more frustrating. I have tried noting when it happens: it seems to be always in 2nd and 3rd gears often when accelerating after having breaked/slowed down for example after rounding a tight corner or after encountering a speed-hump or other obstacle in the road.

Interesting that you mention suspension components - the front suspension was repaired earlier this year. I have now located a 'Saab expert' garage not too far from here and am waiting to hear back from their workshop with an appointment. I will mention the suspension work to them - thanks for this tip!

This is my third Saab but is relatively new to me (2010 model) bought second hand late year with winter tyres/wheels fitted. The problem started after changing to summer tyres/wheels - though these have been checked by both a tyre technician and a local mechanic. Now I realise that the suspension work was shortly before the wheels were changed ..

Thanks for taking time to write Bob! I may not have the answer yet but I feel much better equiped to speak with the mechanic! Have a great day!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts