SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to diagnose and fix a soft top failure I'm getting.

1) Top is closed. I open the latch by the rear-view mirror, hit the roof button. Windows roll down a little. Motors and pump are working but then get a soft top error. The soft top/tonneau cover unlatches. Rear window does NOT raise, nor does the soft top cover. The top itself doesn't move. All that appears to happen is the soft top cover unlocks..

2) If I manually lower the roof and go to put the soft top up, the tonneau cover raises on its own, then get the soft top error.

Before performing step 1, I checked fluid level. Fluid level was extremely low. I topped it off. Continued with Step 1. Cycled it about 5-6 times to see if it would work with more/new fluid. After cycling it the 5-6 times, the fluid level was now near the low marker, not the max where it was moments ago. I'm thinking that could be because the fluid was pumped to the rams? I didn't notice any leaks, but I will have to remove the side panels and double check.

All 4 pumps/rams were replaced 4 years ago.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can post a video later.

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
If you're losing fluid, then that's probably the primaryissue. You don't usually have to pull anything to check that - the excess fluid will drip out the drains in front of the rear wheels. The drains are actually there for water that gets inside the window seal, but they also serve to drain the side rams. If you can open the tonneau cover, you can also just look down in there, perhaps with a flashlight if it's not a bright day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same car 2000 SE 5 speed manual with bad hydraulic convertible cylinders. I’ve relegated it to a manual top as the expense of replacing repaired hydraulics just isn’t cost effective.
Manual operation of the top is simple enough to do by yourself.
Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts