SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i search the symptoms for my car i always get the same results, people say i have to replace my thermostat. The problem with my car is that it cools down when i'm going on the highway, the heat seems to be fine in the cabin even at speed but when i've been driving long enough with the coolant not getting warm i get a CEL which is never a good feeling. I've also replaced the coolant temperature sensor but also with no luck. I'm writing here hoping that someone has encountered this strange problem before me and will help me identify the problem so i can have my saab back to full functionality again. To help identify the problem with the car here's some stuff about the car. Both hoses connected to the heater core are warm to the touch, there is no wet spots in the passenger footwell, the fans only come on when the car has been sitting long enough to get to optimal temperature (which it does when it's not moving fast). there is no surge of warm air when revving engine. If anyone knows anything... any help and i mean any would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Sounds like the thermostat is stuck or sticking open. At operating temperature, the hoses to the heater core should be very hot - not warm. If you have an OBDII bluetooth reader, you can easily check the coolant temperature. When fully warmed-up it should be at least 180F-185F degrees at idle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i've already replaced the thermostat with a new one identical to the original one and the operating temperature when sitting still is fine both in the gauge and on the OBD2 sensor.

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Did you read DTCs with TECH2?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Sensor and thermostat, and i see u did both .. there is an air deflector plate that sits on top of the radiator under the core support , check if it is there or it is gone

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sensor and thermostat, and i see u did both .. there is an air deflector plate that sits on top of the radiator under the core support , check if it is there or it is gone
Should i be able to look straight into the middle of the radiators when staring at Them from the top or is this a sign that it's Missing?

·
Super Moderator
9,668 Posts
are you still getting any code/s.where is the temp gauge sitting when fully up to temp...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
only drops when driving is a stat issue..
Already replaced stat but previous owner had put paste in the thermostat housing and i suspect he might have tried to stop a leak are there any other fixes because i still dont believe it's the thermostat. The car is now fitted with cardboard to help it keep warm on the highway. (Which kinda Works)

·
Super Moderator
9,668 Posts
you need to remove the stat and see what's going on..something could be jamming the stat open(paste) or the stat has failed...Either way it needs to be removed again,get OE stat NOT aftermarket,been a few threads in here where a/m stat has failed within days of fitting...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts