SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having to replace the front rotors and all 4 pads after 30k miles. Dealer wants $800+. Any issues with going with non oem parts and saving myself half that price. Plus dealer charged me $55 to inspect it and the car is under warranty. They are not being receptive at all and are telling me it is normal that my rotors wear at the same rate as the pads and that I'll have to dump $800 bucks every 30k miles to keep the brakes up. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
30K miles is a pretty short period to be needing new brakes. Still, it is not so unusual as to make me think there is a problem. Your driving style may contribute to the short brake life. I can't speak for the 9-3SS, but I needed new front pads and rotors around 75K miles on my'98 900S. But then, I was driving a lot of highway miles back then, which aren't so tough on brakes.

As for the cost, that sounds about right for the dealer to do the work with OEM parts. Personally, I would try to do the work myself. A front brake job is a fairly straightforward affair. If you have any modicum of mechanical skill, you can likely do it in a few hours your first time. If you can get aftermarket rotors from a reputable compay (ie Brembo) I would go with it. I think that Taliferro has some ceramic pads for the new 9-3SS or the EBC Green Stuff pads, which many recommend. There may be some other sources out there. too. If you do it yourself, your material costs would likely drop to half of what your dealer quoted you, or less.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice-I've heard it isn't too hard to do the front brakes but I'm not sure I can convince my wife to let me do it:) Am I crazy yelling at my dealer for trying to charge me a $55 diagnostic fee,which they never mentioned up front-I just said I wanted them inspected. The parts are on national backorder so they can't fix it now anyway and they are being stingy on a loaner and when I said I would take it else where they all the sudden tossed this fee out there.

·
Registered
609 Posts
brabe said:
Am I crazy yelling at my dealer for trying to charge me a $55 diagnostic fee,which they never mentioned up front-I just said I wanted them inspected. The parts are on national backorder so they can't fix it now anyway and they are being stingy on a loaner and when I said I would take it else where they all the sudden tossed this fee out there.
I hate dealers like that. I had a VW dealer like that before that would charge you a diagnostic fee even if you told them what was wrong. I don't know what the fee would be for. Usually you don't even have to put the car up on a lift to check out the brake pads... you can see them through the wheels.

It all depends what you asked them to do. If you asked them for an estimate to do your brakes, I would say the fee is bogus. If you asked them if your brakes needed to be replaced, then they will almost always charge you a diagnostic fee.

If you (or your wife) aren't confident that you can do the job yourself... then find yourself an indy shop where you can supply your own parts. That will minimize the cost, by letting you purchase the parts you want for less. They will probably charge you about $75-100 a corner to replace rotors and pads.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Sounds like your dealer is a thief. No not sounds like BUT HE IS A THIEF.
There is no way he should charge for what takes a 2 minute look.:nono;

The rear rotors should not need replacement.
And the front rotors could be machined if really used.
The parts are on back order? Only for him, I guess.

Go to any local garage and/or check with your friends.
You do not heve to be any special SAAB expert to check pads and rotors or even to change them.

Be sure to report him to SAAB USA or wherever.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Most European cars need new brakes from 20k depending on driving styles. This is not uncommon. Turning rotors is only for American and Jap cars. Minimun spec on Euro cars is met at first brake pad change. It is a price u pay for good brakes, you can have hard rotors with soft pads and have poor braking or soft pads & rotors with excellent braking, which makes more sense. We all know the imports have better brakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer redeemed themselves and I got it all worked out with Saab USA. They are covering the rotors and I just have to pay for the pads and labor. Plus they are throwing in a rental. They still can't tell me exactly when the parts will get in-they're saying the majority of the parts for this car are on national backorder because the Switzerland plant took a month of downtime.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
I am happy that it all worked out well for you, you might want to tell them to be sure to fit the new SAAB ceramic pads, less dust and excellent braking, they have been mentioned here recently as now being available. I'll check tonight and be able to tell you how much SAAB labor will be needed.. Maybe 2 hours.. It would seem that the need to change was not to critical if they are letting you continue to drive.

Again, glad all is well. It's not good having an unpleasent feeling that your dealer is quietly robbing you, especialli if it is not the case..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts