SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there folks of Saab central. Sooo my sister foolishly yanked the key out of her 2001 9-3 while the car was still in drive. Now the car won’t start and the car is just stuck in auxiliary mode. The key won’t turn to the right only the left one click. So I’m curious if you guys think it’s a security mechanism on the ignition that she broke causing it to lock up or if that distorted the key just enough as to where it doesn’t fit right. Also the key bob battery is pretty much dead so not sure if that is messing it up because of the CIM chip?

Any and all help/suggests are much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
She broke lock.
You need another lock barrel and matching key. You also need TECH2 to marry new key chip (and fob) to your car.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If it’s the key with three buttons integrated in the key, I.e. not the separate fob, transplant the electronic module from your old key to the new one. Then the TWICE sees the same key. At least that’s how it is on the same age 9-5.
Is the key out? If it can be placed in the OFF (I.e. the second) position the cylinder should come out, I’m sure the procedure is YouTubed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm a bit paranoid about these 'clever' keys. I there any economical way of getting a spare? My 2000 93 has the 2-part key/fob.
Also, I have the spare blank that came with the car from new, but it's just the metal part, I'm wondering what this is for? If I try to use it, say to unlock a door the alarm sets off.
(Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I'm a newbie here, and to my Saab).

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
I'm a bit paranoid about these 'clever' keys. I there any economical way of getting a spare? My 2000 93 has the 2-part key/fob.
Also, I have the spare blank that came with the car from new, but it's just the metal part, I'm wondering what this is for? If I try to use it, say to unlock a door the alarm sets off.
(Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I'm a newbie here, and to my Saab).
The most economical way is to get a key with the three button remote in the head. Pop out the remote module and discard the key. Have someone make a new physical key that fits your car. Insert the module into that key, and get it programmed via Tech II. (You will need your old key on hand. Both keys will be programmed in the session.)

I'm not so sure about the spare (mini?) key that came with the 9-3. I'm a little surprised that the alarm goes off when opened with the key, but that might be the setting for the security system and electrical system sold in Australia. (My T7 9-5 can be locked or unlocked with the key, which enables or disables the alarm, repsectively.)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks mini, would this have to be done by a mechanic or is it relatively easy, minus the part with the Tech 2
Taking the lock/ignition/starter switch out of the console is doable for a mere mortal but it's not that simple. You'll find yourself having to take the rear bumper and front right wheel off to get to everything then you have to remember how it goes back together.

Maybe when you get the lock out you see how it can be fixed easily.

I didn't see anywhere where you said that the key is damaged: if the key is ok and the lock is damaged buy another lock and take it to a locksmith and have it mated to your key.

If the key is damaged but not the lock see if that spare will turn the lock otherwise take the lock to a smith and get a new key made.

In all cases you should be able to keep your existing fob and just change over the key head so you won't need a Tech 2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there folks of Saab central. Sooo my sister foolishly yanked the key out of her 2001 9-3 while the car was still in drive. Now the car won’t start and the car is just stuck in auxiliary mode. The key won’t turn to the right only the left one click. So I’m curious if you guys think it’s a security mechanism on the ignition that she broke causing it to lock up or if that distorted the key just enough as to where it doesn’t fit right. Also the key bob battery is pretty much dead so not sure if that is messing it up because of the CIM chip?

Any and all help/suggests are much appreciated.
You will need to have the key programmed to the car. Probably need a new fob piece but you certainly need a new battery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Okay, the 'main' key is obviously some cynical joke foisted upon us by the those evil Scandanavians who are getting us back for killing all those invading Vikings back then!
Next:
My car, (Dec 1999 build Saab 93) it came with a spare metal key, -no fob, just the metal part. When the doors are locked this key will open the door. But then the alarm sounds.
You have to use the complete (fobbed) key to enter into the ignition switch to stop the alarm.
Assuming you're using the spare metal key to get into the car because you've lost your 'main' key, what's the point?
Is there any way of stopping the alarm apart from using the fobbed key? (which presumably has been lost down the toilet!!!)
This metal key will turn the ignition to ON position but will not go any further to start the car.
? Confused.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Okay, the 'main' key is obviously some cynical joke foisted upon us by the those evil Scandanavians who are getting us back for killing all those invading Vikings back then!
Next:
My car, (Dec 1999 build Saab 93) it came with a spare metal key, -no fob, just the metal part. When the doors are locked this key will open the door. But then the alarm sounds.
You have to use the complete (fobbed) key to enter into the ignition switch to stop the alarm.
Assuming you're using the spare metal key to get into the car because you've lost your 'main' key, what's the point?
Is there any way of stopping the alarm apart from using the fobbed key? (which presumably has been lost down the toilet!!!)
This metal key will turn the ignition to ON position but will not go any further to start the car.
? Confused.
What kind of head does the spare metal key have? Does it have three holes? I can't picture what you have. There were keys that did not have the remote buttons in their head, but they did have the transponder part, so they could start the car. We'd have to see a picture to say anything for sure. (NG900 keys would be similar form factor but not have the transponder.)

According to a '99 9-3 manual I pulled up, unlocking door with the key should also enable/disable the alarm. Not sure what's going on with your car. Maybe it's a market difference.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts

? Confused.
Hah, hah. :D
No, you need paired key (chip) to stop alarm.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Hah, hah. :D
No, you need paired key (chip) to stop alarm.
Saab 9-3 1999 manual pg 31 said:
Locking/unlocking the car
When the car is locked and unlocked with the remote control or the key (see page 35), the theft alarm is also affected.To lock by remote control (1)
Saab 9-3 1999 manual pg 35 said:
The car alarm (anti-theft system) is acti-vated/deactivated when the car is locked/unlocked by the remote control or by the key.
But note:

Saab 9-3 1999 manual pg 34 said:
If the car has an alarm, and it is armed (the car is locked), the alarm will sound if the trunk is unlocked with a key. However, if the trunk is opened using the remote control, the alarm will not be triggered.
I don't think there's a transponder reader in the door lock. I routinely lock and unlock my 9-5 with the key, and that enables/disables the alarm. But, it could be a market difference. My cars are North American spec.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What kind of head does the spare metal key have? Does it have three holes? I can't picture what you have. There were keys that did not have the remote buttons in their head, but they did have the transponder part, so they could start the car. We'd have to see a picture to say anything for sure. (NG900 keys would be similar form factor but not have the transponder.)

According to a '99 9-3 manual I pulled up, unlocking door with the key should also enable/disable the alarm. Not sure what's going on with your car. Maybe it's a market difference.
The plain metal spare key I have is just the metal part that slips into the ignition, with a simple horizontal top to it which is about 4mm wide, it's more or less 'T' shaped. It has the Saab logo and 'YMOS' stamped on it. There's no transponder part at all. Maybe it's a blank key that fits the locks that can be fitted with the plastic transponder part and then matched to the existing lock? It doesn't have any holes in it. This key came with the car new, in a little plastic sleeve labelled: RESERVE.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
I know some cars come with spare "emergency" keys that you can keep in your wallet, but if you need the transponder to start the car, then it's not very useful. So I don't know what this is for--maybe some Og9-3 owner knows.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts