SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car: 1999 Saab 9-3 tubro 2.0 185hp engine.
mods:
aftermarket muffler
removed tube going from stock bosche DV to intake and plugged the hole
removed turbo silencer
cold air intake
93 octane fuel plus octane booster

My car always takes a bit to start(it turns over 5-6 times before starting) which it has done since i bought it, and when i go to start it after driving it for a while it will almost not start. i can turn it over for 5 minutes straight sometimes and nothing, just turns over. i have to feather the gas pedal and really play with it and floor it to get it started. it recently started doing this.

it will also idle rough or not stay running after staring like this until i drive it for a bit.

could it just be a fuel filter or something? i have no idea. after the car sits for a prolonged period of time, it starts lik normal.

any ideas?

thanks guys
Gage

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
my car: 1999 Saab 9-3 tubro 2.0 185hp engine.
mods:
aftermarket muffler
removed tube going from stock bosche DV to intake and plugged the hole
removed turbo silencer
cold air intake
93 octane fuel plus octane booster

My car always takes a bit to start(it turns over 5-6 times before starting) which it has done since i bought it, and when i go to start it after driving it for a while it will almost not start. i can turn it over for 5 minutes straight sometimes and nothing, just turns over. i have to feather the gas pedal and really play with it and floor it to get it started. it recently started doing this.

it will also idle rough or not stay running after staring like this until i drive it for a bit.

could it just be a fuel filter or something? i have no idea. after the car sits for a prolonged period of time, it starts lik normal.

any ideas?

thanks guys
Gage
Your symptoms sound just like mine the day I bought my car. I am fairly confident that it's a bad Evap Purge Valve and a VERY easy/free fix. When these go bad they act like a giant vacuum leak and the car will not start or will idle like crap once it does. If you pull the hose from the Throttle body to the evap valve (located on passenger side fender) off of the valve and plug the hose to the TB you can eliminate it as a problem all together. Just leave the valve open to atmosphere but make sure you plug the hose going to the TB or it will keep doing the same thing. I did this to mine the day I bought it. The fool that sold it to me thought it needed major work based on the issue. I paid him, plugged the hose and drove it 500 miles home. :cheesy:

While I do not advocate throwing parts at a problem there are some basic items that should be replaced every so often whether they are bad or not. To me, the CPS is one such item. If you have over 60k on your car then swap it out. That could very well be the problem you are having. The fact that it acts differently when warmed up points to this as well.

That being said,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts