SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was outside few months and battery died. Cant unlock doors and cant access the battery to charge it.

Tried turning they key but it wont turn, dont want to break it.

I tried to start it from the starters positive cable with a pair of jumpercables but nothing happened expect the starter motor started turning. Any ideas why it happened?

I have to try later on with proper jackstand so that I can have a better look at the starter, maybe there wasnt enough power for the doors to unlock or I was missing the positive cable.

Any ideas to get the doors open are welcome.

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
Starter motor would start if you attached the jumper to the wrong terminal. Make sure it is attached to the wire that also goes to the alternator, and not the wire that goes to the body of the starter itself.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Why not try charging the battery via the starter (direct) connection? The car isn't going to start by just spinning the starter motor.

·
Registered
2009 9-3 TiD Turbo Edition Automatic
57 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine. I ended up snapping the rubber housing of the blade trying to open the damn door. My son managed to turn is using a set of pliers. Turned out in my case that the battery wasn’t dead, one of the terminals had come lose and lost connection with the battery. It can take quite a bit of force to turn the key in the door lock though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starter motor would start if you attached the jumper to the wrong terminal. Make sure it is attached to the wire that also goes to the alternator, and not the wire that goes to the body of the starter itself.
Yeah I figured that while I tried to wiggle the cable I touched the wrong cable or the motor causing the starter to spin.

Ty, I will try again if I have the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not try charging the battery via the starter (direct) connection? The car isn't going to start by just spinning the starter motor.
Yeah that was what I was trying to do.
I had a similar problem with mine. I ended up snapping the rubber housing of the blade trying to open the damn door. My son managed to turn is using a set of pliers. Turned out in my case that the battery wasn’t dead, one of the terminals had come lose and lost connection with the battery. It can take quite a bit of force to turn the key in the door lock though
Im pretty sure that the battery terminals are connected, tried to use a lot of force on the door lock but cant find my spare key and dont want to break the main one.

·
Registered
2009 9-3 TiD Turbo Edition Automatic
57 Posts
Yeah, I’d recommend using the spare for that exact reason. I used my spare when I did it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts