SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok a month ago I was hit in the rear end by a Van who lost it Brakes or hit the gas and hit my Saab 900se turbo 1997 automatic. :( It total my car. The Mechanic had a Saab 9-3 1995 manual convertable. He asking for $2500 for it.

A few notes. My frist Saab came from the same Mechanic same cost a few years ago. I just had minor issues over time. A few hoses, spark plugs a day before the accident. That was a pain in the rear.

My questions are basicly.

1 What issues do the Saab 9-3 1995 have. How dose the Convetrable top deal with rain and snow. California mountains. We tend to get 2 feet of snow a year Mountains.

2 What issues you tend to have with the stick vs Automatic?

3 Dose the Stick have Better Gas mileage then Automatic.

4 Is there any Known issues with the 2002 saab 9-3

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
You might want to update the post as the 1994-1998 were new generation (NG900's) and the 1999-2002 (plus the 2003 verts) were old generations 9-3's (OG 9-3's)... Ron

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I'm confused... I thought the 9-3 didn't exist until 1999?

That said, if the top material is in good condition, it should handle snow no problem. The bows (at least on my 1999) seem sturdy enough to handle it.

Can't answer to the Manual vs Auto stuff on these. I could discuss the craptacular C900 autos all day long though... ;)

You didn't say which engine your prospective car has?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mountains are Frazier Park (I-5 Grapevine).

I am just going by what my family told me. I seen it once. So the car could be newer.

When I can I will get more info.

My dad screw up. He was thinking it was year 93. But the forsale sign says Saab 93 Turbo. So we called the Tech. It 2002. Sorry I was confuse as much as you all.

·
Registered
19,043 Posts
2002 makes more sense... I was about to tell you that the price was way too high. We'd still need to know how many miles, but it isn't a high price, so I am guessing it has a lot of miles.

The manual will get slightly better mileage. It's also a lot more fun. It's the best choice.

You won't have any problems with the snow. I have lived with a Saab convertible in the snow since 1999. It holds up fine and it is well insulated so the car is warm in the Winter.

Make sure the top works well. Put it up and down a couple times. When they break, they can be expensive to fix. Check the dash displays for the SID and ACC. They tend to have problems. SID cost $65 to have rebuilt, ACC costs about $250 (unless you DIY). Check for vibration when accelerating on the highway. Make sure it doesn't have a check engine light. Make sure it accelerates smoothly.

I would do a "sludge check" by dropping the oil pan. If you have oil change records since 2002 that show the oil changed with synthetic oil every 5K miles, it might be OK to skip it. But, I would ask the mechanic to do it and make sure the oil screen is clean.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I think that why the Motor was Replaced. Due to the Oil Sluge Defect. My family the type that we change oil every 3,000 to 4,000 Miles. So I don't think moving to 5k every change is going to be a issue and going to have to ask about if that motor been useing oil or synthetic oil.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it a Saab 9-3 SE with a Viggen Motor. That thing has real Power. The display needs work. But it It runs great.

*Note only the Motor is Viggen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts