SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a RHD to a LHD?

The car is a Saab 9-3 SE conv. 2001.

I know I need new interior parts and new power steering and some other small things. But is the car structure the same? I can´t figure out whatever the plate between the engine and cabin is deferent?

And I know it takes long time and all the stuff :D

Hope you can help.

best regards
Mathias Slyngborg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a RHD to a LHD?

The car is a Saab 9-3 SE conv. 2001.

I know I need new interior parts and new power steering and some other small things. But is the car structure the same? I can´t figure out whatever the plate between the engine and cabin is deferent?

And I know it takes long time and all the stuff :D

Hope you can help.

best regards
Mathias Slyngborg
Just out of interest, why would you want to do that? and before you do anything, check the RHD car for firewall crack (very common problem). I just discovered that on mine (RHD)and the car is in Sweden at the moment, I don't dare to even ask how much someone would fix it for here....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because I got all the parts I need for it! And in Denmark we use LHD.

Firewall that was the name I was looking for. Anyone who knows weather that is different ?

Slyngborg

·
Registered
58 Posts

Firewall that was the name I was looking for. Anyone who knows weather that is different ?

Slyngborg
As far as I know they are slightly different, you might be able to modify instead of completely swaping. The a/c pipes are different too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay nice, but how much need to be fixed ;)

It could be nice if there are any who have tried to make the change, before I get in action!

Best regards
Slyngborg

·
Registered
2,908 Posts

Slyngborg
You have "All the parts" you need...?"

I presume you mean you have things like the dash and other ancillaries.

Do you also have, for example, the aforementioned AC pipes, the different brake lines, steering lines, and who-knows-what other pipes, tubes, pedals, pedal linkages, etc, that will add up to thousands of dollars before you're done? If so, good show!

·
Registered
58 Posts
BTW, I often take my RHD 9-3 to LHD countries and there's no real problem driving in LHD (right hand) traffic

The most annoying thing though is when you get to a car park and need to get a ticket, especially when it's -20C outside!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a whole LDH donor car so parts are not a problem, but I don't want to weld a new firewall in place!

I maybe think the pedals are the same!

And I am not a novice, I have done this on two OG900 cars. But I'm a novice in OG9-3 conversion.

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
I got a whole LDH donor car so parts are not a problem, but I don't want to weld a new firewall in place!

I maybe think the pedals are the same!

And I am not a novice, I have done this on two OG900 cars. But I'm a novice in OG9-3 conversion.
I think that if you look at the firewall you will see that the rack mounts and other equipment mounts are specific to the LHD / RHD. I think the entry points for the heater hoses are specific too, as well as the harness. Take a look, you should be able to tell easily by measuring the mount locations.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m also interested as I can buy rhd Saab 900 conv 2007 for about £800 then look abroad for parts as lhd car selling in Spain for £10k there must be a profit in this does anyone know how much a company would charge for labour

·
Registered
359 Posts
I know first hand that RHD parts can be hard to find...
Some issues I've found so far for example:
Seats (memory sides).
Brake booster pipes
Mounts.
Heater Hoses.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I do not think it is worth the time to do this sort of conversion. Probably easer, cheaper, and save a ton of aggravation and money to just buy a LHD.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Remember the unknown factor with conversions is the sign off from the vehicle / transport section in your country.
Sometimes it could just be a 'looks good' and pay the fees.. other-times you could be reworking something minor.
Get advice from the agency before you start > so you know what's required documentation wise, as well as the physical operations.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I wonder what he ended up doing.
I can see no value in in doing so much work and spending so much on parts and ending up with what's really the same thing.
9-3s aren't worth that much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts