SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone know of a way to bypass the AMP1 yourself without having to ship it out and pay money? I know the SaabRadio guy will charge $59 to install the bypass for you.

I am wondering if this is something I can do myself by soldering a resistor or a few wires or something. Has anyone ever tried to fix their AMP1 themselves?

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
its the fibre optic loop you need to join, you can pull them from the amp and connect them together using saab parts for very little money

when I fitted my amp1 to me 4 speaker system I just used rubber hose with the right size ID to connect the optical cable for test purposes, you could try this to see if it is your amp1 thats faulty

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am positive its the AMP1 that is faulty as water was spilled on it. Ive been without sound in my car for 6 months now. I know the bypass will only make half your speakers work but that's fine by me. I just want sound back for as cheap as possible.

Is the optical loop something I can get at radio shack or best buy?

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I dought it, I had lots of trouble trying to find the right optical cables when I put my amp in saab was the only place that I could find that did the right size

if you pull the optical plug from the connector at the amp1 and remove one of the optics from it and then put the removed optic into the connector PN 12 791 237 that you have bought from the dealer for about 10 bucks you will be able to link the optical cables and have sound again

Article : Contact housing
PartNo : 12791237
Supplementary Description : Optical cable
Order Quantity : 1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info. I actually just took the amp apart, looks relativily simple on the inside. I noticed one of the capacitors oozed goop everywhere. I cleaned that up and ordered a new capacitor for $2. Ill see if replacing that fixes the problem. if not I'll buy the optical cable and do the bypass fix.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Why not get a used amp? Try goldwing.com Saab used parts in Hastings NY.
Half the effort is taking the damn thing out of the car. Then you'll have your system back again without compromise!:confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, I have tried tons of junkyards but none of them had one. Finaly found one the other day but they wanted $475 for it. I could just get mine refurbished from saabradio.com for $400. But both are way more money than I want to spend.

It's actually easy to get out. only held in by 2 bolts. Crossing my fingers that replacing this capacitor will get it fully working, :eek:

·
Registered
429 Posts
You should check ebay. Always seems there are saab parts cars advertised. You could email the seller and ask how much for the amp.
Might be pleasantly suprised.
Also, try goldwing.com nice folks. I've done business with them several times. I am an insurance adjuster and call them when I have a saab in a body shop that needs parts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you fix your radio issues? I noticed my radio acting funny after a car wash, a few days later it was back to normal...got it washed again and now the radio is gone completely. I believe I fried my Amp1 but haven't looked yet. It's been a month now and I'm starting to get annoyed, although my intake does sound cool....

Anyways, if I order the work around, do I lose any sound or is it just a mickey mouse fix to get me going ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not yet.. been riding with no radio since last summer... Cheapest I have found is $400 to have it refurbished. The model I need never seems to be on ebay and all the junk yards I've called and emailed either dont have it or want $500+ for it. I dont have that kinda money just for a radio... so many things on my saab are broken and in need of repair, :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
i'm startin to hate my saab...i just hit 45K miles on it, and it's an 04...and now all of a sudden everything is fallying apart...dash is flaking, radio is dead, and full sender gauge deal doesn't work anymore..i love filling up based on a guess! oh wells...thanks for the info..i'm going to go check out my amp1 today...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sadly when I bought my 03 last year the seller had just replaced the gas gauge for the same reason. it lasted maybe 6 months before almost every electronic component fried or broke. I've spent more in repairs already than I did on the car itself and I still have ~4 major repairs left to fix.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
There was a guy on eBay that advertised his shop for the purpose of bypassing the amp1 fiber optic loop. it was like $60.

My amp1 is fried also, although it has been bypassed. I really want a new amp because I really want my speakers back and want to be able to upgrade without much constraint.

I'm not very knowledgable about the electronics in it so I wouldn't be able to do it myself, but I think you should give it a try if you have the experience.

Again search ebay for that guy. You send your amp to him and he will bypass it for about $60

·
Registered
143 Posts
There was a guy on eBay that advertised his shop for the purpose of bypassing the amp1 fiber optic loop. it was like $60.

My amp1 is fried also, although it has been bypassed. I really want a new amp because I really want my speakers back and want to be able to upgrade without much constraint.

I'm not very knowledgable about the electronics in it so I wouldn't be able to do it myself, but I think you should give it a try if you have the experience.

Again search ebay for that guy. You send your amp to him and he will bypass it for about $60
I'll sell you mine, it's been sitting in my closet for about 2 years.. I bypassed the entire sound system the first week I owned my car.. :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
^^^gah, i wish i had the time and knowledge (and cash) to do a complete bypass.

I would love to buy it from you, but I'm strapped for cash right now. If I save up a reasonable amount I will definately contact you.

I'm only 17 with a measley job that pays enough for me to get there. I'll be getting a new job at the end of the month though.

Until then, sir.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
noticed one of the capacitors oozed goop everywhere. I cleaned that up and ordered a new capacitor for $2.
Did you ever replace the cap?

My amp1 took a nosedive tonight. I actually heard it hissing from the door speaker for a short while. Worked fine this morning. Floor has been bone dry. I'll pull the amp this week to have a look. Cap would be too easy knowing this car. But the silicon is also available.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did replace it but no luck in the sound department. Still doesn't work and drains my battery if I leave it plugged in. I guess I'll try ti save up the $400 and buy the refurbished amp1 from the saabradio guy.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
When the amp is refurbished do you gain the use of the speakers again or is it like a bypass where you lose the two door speakers?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you gain the use of all the speakers again. The guy from saabradio said he also coats the parts in a silicone a few times which is supposed to help protect it from frying out again due to moisture.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts