SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I am starting to work out which SAAB model I am targeting for a convertible model. As a part of this I am considering 9-3 OG models (99 - 2003 i believe) - am also looking at classic 900T and 900NG SE T as well - hopefully i'll have an opportunity to check out all models before deciding.

When trawling through advertisements here in Australia it's pretty common for people to say that their 9-3 is an aero - which they usually aren't.

Would appreciate thoughts on the following:
* Do all aeros have boost gauges in the dash - or just the manual versions?
* Do aeros have embossed seats?
* Is there an aero external side badge?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
642 Posts
I can help you with this. - Have a look at the photos in my album.
I have a 2000 9-3 Aero.

Unless modified - Aeros will have the colour coded body-kit, different boot spoiler (for the hatch), different exhaust pipe. Aero badge should be above the indicator next to the front wheels/door, on both sides.

Boost gauge should be present. Trim levels will be leather seats, with memory, Front and Rear fogs, and the steering wheel will be a custom leather job. If your lucky - you might have cornering lamps in the foglights as well.
Standard rims were 16" but in 2001 this was changed. In 2001 Traction control was added also.

1. The first clue should be the VIN. Aeros should have the B205R engine with the HOT. The VIN will have a unique letter in the VIN.
2. Normally - the DIC should be Black (T7).
3. Suspension codes (on the chassis plate) will be something like AZ-BF-B-B-T-X.

If someone is selling an anniversary model - It might be missing a boost gauge - that's possibly what you're looking at.

When I run my VIN through the Decoder I get this:
I've changed my 6 digit serial number to n..

VIN:YS3DH58KXY2nnnnnn
Model:SAAB 9-3 (9400) Version:AERO Equipment:Model series IV, Driver and passenger airbags Body Type:5D / 5-door Hatchback Gearbox:4-speed automatic Engine:B205R 4-inline, Turbo - Petrol Cubic Size:1985 cc Power:205 HP / 280 Nm Year:2000 Assembly Plant:Trollhättan, Sweden, line B (900 / 9-3)

Happy to help out further - send me a PM if needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for that very detailed info Mort!

That explains a lot and getting the VIN seems like the best way to understand exactly what someone is selling.

I didn't realise that the Aero's come with so many extra goodies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts