SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Last year I bought this Saab and my wife felt in love with it.
Since I bought it, I noticed the sleeping between 2&3 gears, until few months later I got the message Gearbox malfunction. In order to get rid of it, I started using the parking break anytime I park the car. I haven't got it since. Then, the left window stopped working. One of the wheel inside got broken, so I have ordered a new replacement for $100.
Then few days ago, the alarm started sounding from time to time for no apparent reason, so I will have to do the capacitors change or send it to be repaired for $55 online.
About the transmission: I have decided to change the transmission fluid by myself. I will buy 12 quarters Mobil 1 ATF 3309 for $65. So these are my questions and my petitions for help:
1. Do I need to change the transmission filter? When I went to get some estimates at some garages, they told me that they would change the filter too. Can I do that myself? I found some filters for $20 online. They are much similar to the oil one. If I could find the service repair manual I would really appreciate it. Some place to get it for free, please? I recon it will take 3 drains and fills to get rid of the old atf.
2. I will change just a quarter just to see if I have some cooler liquid in it because it seems that this model had some issues with it (the switching gear problem could be because of it). Few months ago, I noticed that the coolant reservoir lost few inches of fluid.
In that case, I will need to change "O" rings in the radiator couplings for the transmission intercooler and then do the transmission fluid change to make sure I do not have any leak. Will it be easy to change those rings? That's why it would be very helpful the manual if someone could pass it to me. :)
3. When I bought the car, it had 96K miles. I don't know the history so I don't even know if the previous owner had the atf changed at all. I cannot have a flush, but at a lube garage they told me that they will change the filter and change the fluid... will they really open the pan and remove the filter?

I would really appreciate if someone can tell me if what I am planing to do is right, I can get a service manual and you guys can give me some advices.

Many many thanks

karl

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi. I tried to find the alarm module today bu I couldn't. I have read that the alarm module is unther the driver's wheel but it is not there. Where is it, please?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing under both front wheels. Can anyone tell me where the alarm module is located, please?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
About the transmission: I have decided to change the transmission fluid by myself. I will buy 12 quarters Mobil 1 ATF 3309 for $65. So these are my questions and my petitions for help:
1. Do I need to change the transmission filter? When I went to get some estimates at some garages, they told me that they would change the filter too. Can I do that myself? I found some filters for $20 online. They are much similar to the oil one. If I could find the service repair manual I would really appreciate it. Some place to get it for free, please? I recon it will take 3 drains and fills to get rid of the old atf.
Welcome! I can help a little. You're correct that you'll need to do a few drain/fill cycles to get this done. You don't need to change the filter, though. The filter is internal, and you won't be able to get to it without taking the transmission out and taking it apart. If you look at the how-to page, there is a procedure on how to change the fluid quite a ways down the first page. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83969 This might be better than an online service manual. You can also buy a Haynes book for our cars, but it's written for the UK version.

2. I will change just a quarter just to see if I have some cooler liquid in it because it seems that this model had some issues with it (the switching gear problem could be because of it). Few months ago, I noticed that the coolant reservoir lost few inches of fluid.
In that case, I will need to change "O" rings in the radiator couplings for the transmission intercooler and then do the transmission fluid change to make sure I do not have any leak. Will it be easy to change those rings? That's why it would be very helpful the manual if someone could pass it to me. :)
Not sure how easy changing the o rings would be, most cars had it done by the dealer under warranty. Is your car an 03 or 04? The problem went away after those years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts