SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an inssue with my SAAB's engine or ECU....?? Everone knows that placing the ECU in the engine space is a fatal "opel" mistake...

I have all the time the petrol pump sensor error (have changed pump and sensor, but the error is still notifying) but the car rides great...now I have the second engine error...slow reaction of camsaft valve...does anyone knows what's wrong? Any ideas? Could be all about the dying ECU because of where it's placed, but this is not sure until it dies totaly... THX for advices. M1B

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Thread moved to Workshop.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Hi, I have an inssue with my SAAB's engine or ECU....?? Everone knows that placing the ECU in the engine space is a fatal "opel" mistake...

I have all the time the petrol pump sensor error (have changed pump and sensor, but the error is still notifying) but the car rides great...now I have the second engine error...slow reaction of camsaft valve...does anyone knows what's wrong? Any ideas? Could be all about the dying ECU because of where it's placed, but this is not sure until it dies totaly... THX for advices. M1B
The placement of the ECU in our car makes no sense at all but given the tight packaging issues was probably a compromise. I see with the Insignia they moved the ECU down near the battery, not sure if the NG 9-5 and 9-4X are the same.

What mileage is on your car? The timing chains stretch on our cars but not sure if it manifests itself as an error code as you have had.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Unfortunately on these v6 cars, a stretched timing chain can indeed correspond to camshaft position errors. High mileage and long intervals between oil changes often lead to this.
Also the ECU on these cars are pretty hardy and easy to get at. Love em.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stretched timing chain could be the theoretical problem, but my car has low mileage...incomplete 120.000 km and I am driving it as a human, not as a championship driver...and I don't think it's about the oil change...I am changing oil in all my SAAB's engine in 8-9.000 km interval...on this car I will actually change oil tommorow...

To by sure, could you recommand replace the camshaft sensor and timing chain?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The placement of the ECU in our car makes no sense at all but given the tight packaging issues was probably a compromise. I see with the Insignia they moved the ECU down near the battery, not sure if the NG 9-5 and 9-4X are the same.

What mileage is on your car? The timing chains stretch on our cars but not sure if it manifests itself as an error code as you have had.
I have 9-3 TurboX but I think that the placement of the ECU is the same, isn't it? My car has incomplete 120.000km (near 75.000 miles) so I don't think it's a high mileage? And the battery was changed about year ago....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately on these v6 cars, a stretched timing chain can indeed correspond to camshaft position errors. High mileage and long intervals between oil changes often lead to this.
Also the ECU on these cars are pretty hardy and easy to get at. Love em.
Stretched timing chain could be the theoretical problem, but my car has low mileage...incomplete 120.000 km and I am driving it as a human, not as a championship driver...and I don't think it's about the oil change...I am changing oil in all my SAAB's engine in 8-9.000 km interval...on this car I will actually change oil tommorow...

To by sure, could you recommand replace the camshaft sensor and timing chain?

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
These engines have 2 cam chains - one for the front bank and one for the rear bank. They also have variable intake cam timing which is controlled hydraulically (via engine oil pressure) by the solenoid valves - one per intake cam. Dirty oil can block the solenoid valves.

This is more obvious with the new V6 engines in the NG9-5 engines. In that engine, both intake and exhaust cam timing is controlled by separate solenoid valves. And dirty oil can block or decrease oil flow into any or a combination of all the solenoid valves.

The new WIS has a great description of how CVCP (continuous variable cam phasing) works in both engines... Ron

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
What code are you getting? P2088?

·
Super Moderator
9,249 Posts
Doesn't matter whether you drive it like Miss Daisy or Martin Truex Jr,the chains can still stretch..
Code which shows is P0018..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts