SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start I apologize for the dirty care, if its any excuse we have had on and off snow for over a month.
Here are some pictures that may be useful
I have had two audio issues with my 6 speaker Saab 9-3 2003 SE for as long as I can remember. Firstly, the right front speaker was blown out and none of the speakers on the drivers side were working. I have replaced both of the front door speakers. This was successful however the left speaker is still not working. I have been able to remove the factory radio with DIN tools but I do not see any cabling issues that could be the culprit.
The next logical step to me would be to replace the stereo unit. I know this would require a dash modification kit but cannot find documentation on what sort of tools and kit I will need. The best I can find is on a website called crutchfield, however It mentions there might be further modifications necessary as well as cabling to the amplifier which I have not yet located. If anyone could help me find some documentation or provide info on how I can go about fixing this issue I would greatly appreciate it.
Also if anyone has any idea how I can replace the rear speakers I would greatly appreciate it. I have looked into doing this but it has proven very difficult to find any clips to remove.

·
Super Moderator
2,983 Posts
Pretty rare for there to be a wiring / power delivery problem to the speakers. Just checked my wiring diagram and for the R/F (dash) speaker you should have a Blk/Brn and Blk/Red going to the speaker, it does not change between the HU and speaker. If you DO change your HU you'll need a half DIN pocket to put either above or below the new HU. Wiring is different but not too difficult, most difficult issue is you have an integrated amp that does not play well with an aftermarket HU. I got a cheap 200w amp to go with my aftermarket HU to drive my door speakers.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
639 Posts
Justin - There are are a few posts that describe people changing their system to a more modern one.
eg: OG9-3 Budget Stereo
The choice you need to make is: do you want a double din or a single one? If you go with the single option - it frees up the slot for a storage bay - but that will be a non-saab fix.
The one I like is a Kenwood HU because you can modify the colour to match the orange of the SID etc.
Disclaimer: I haven't changed my Head Unit or CD yet.. so I cant comment personally about changing DIN's.
Best of Luck.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
If the door speaker is not working then you need to check out the AS3 amp that specifically feeds the door speakers. You can replace it with a used one for about $25 and a half hour of work. You should check the feeds to it and make sure there's a signal to the left speaker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts