SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Hoping someone can help here - my mums car has been making an unusual noise for a while after she has been on a drive which seems to remain when she’s parked up and idle. She has recently had a service and MOT and asked the mechanics to take a look but they can’t seem to locate the problem at all. One of the mechanics said when he taken the engine cap off, the noise apparently stopped then came back when he put the cap back on?

The timing chain/belt had already been changed when my mum bought the car in 2017 - I think the mileage is 90k which isn’t a big increase from when she bought the car as she doesn’t drive often at all, and apparently a new engine had been fitted a few years prior too.

I have attached a link with a video of the noise it’s making - any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Crankcase ventilation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could be a worn idler pulley..... does the knows get louder when revving?
I recently had a noise when I engaged aircon. The noise went louder (higher in pitch when revving. Replaced the idler pulley (very easy job) and noise is gone.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
640 Posts
Hi There,
Welcome to SC.
2002 9-3 is often called an OG9-3. These need to have a modification to the engine to prevent oil sludge build-up. This is called a 'breather kit' or PCV. You will need to have the update 6 kit installed - if it hasn't been already. This is what Mimmi was talking about.
The modification isn't that expensive.
Given your comment about the engine cap - I would look at this. (engine cap - I assume you mean Oil cap)

So I suggest the following:
1. Check to see if you have the PCV Update #6 installed. - If not you should do it asap.
2. Try running the engine without the AC on. if the noise is still there then you know it is not AC related.

Common causes re likely to be:
1. Water pump.
2. Idler pulley & tensioner - as per arthur.
3. Air-Con related.
4. Power steering pump.
5. Oil to lifters.

Best of Luck.

Given your in the UK - I've linked a page showing the PCV kit, and what it should cost etc.
Have a look here also - it might help:

·
Registered
2000 93 SE Vert Auto 2001 93 SE Vert 5spd
167 Posts
I like this YouTube for the PCV Update. He uses a rubber glove attached to the oil filler to show the before and after difference. I did the same test when I did the PCV update to one of my cars and got the same before and after results.

PCV Update on YouTube

1 - 5 of 5 Posts