SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After countless hours of searching online, I have decided to ask my question directly.

I drive a 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Linear. Beginning about two months ago my Saab started to die at random times. I could be driving 45 MPH, 35 MPH, 15 MPH or even just sitting at a light. The engine will cut out or the wheel will lock up and I will coast to a stop. Most of the time the power will remain on, while less frequently the whole electrical system will shut down with the engine. Upon turning the key again, nothing will turn over (not even an attempt to crank). The only thing that seems to get it working again is to unhook the negative terminal on the battery. Upon doing that, the car starts and I am on my way...until the next time it happens.

We took it to a dealership here in town that ran tests on the computer and found nothing they could think of. Then reading some posts online we replaced the Crankshaft position sensor. After that fix we are still having the same problems. Any help would be appreciated! I have been a Saab owner for 8 years and LOVE their cars. I've had this particular 9-3 for just under a year now. A bit more info- bought this car used in '12 with 62k miles and the 60k maintenance having just been performed. Car now has 70k miles. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I know it is probably been checked out but how old is the battery? And check for loose/corroded ground wires under the battery box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it is probably been checked out but how old is the battery? And check for loose/corroded ground wires under the battery box.
It may actually be the original battery. I will take it over and get that checked. May be a day or so but will try and replace that and see the results. Thanks so much for your reply. I'll return with an update.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Problem is that every time the negative cable is removed, the ECM memory is erased. So the dealer has nothing to go on. Best case option is to let them drive the car till it happens and have them feel it. If it happens often enough, they should be able to get a bead on it. The crankshaft position senor pattern failure is on the older 93 (up to 2002). Sounds like a electrical issue. Battery, and cables would be a first look.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it wasn't for the "sometimes the whole EL system goes out" comment I'd say crank sensor which I had on my old 3.2L HFV6. It really sound as if a main electrical connector has a break in it. Regardless of the batteries condition the alternator should hold to cars electrical load by itself.

This is an interesting one. I would check all your primary negative/ground cables.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought the same model and year with the self same problem exactly!! Mine used to cut out every 20 - 30 miles. The car had stood for long periods of time because it covered a little less than 1000 miles in the year before I bought it. I guessed that this problem, and other problems, all electrical, might be the result of this ( corrosion on electrical contacts) and so set about cleaning them. One of the first was to unhook the ECU and clean it and the plugs with contact cleaner, result much improved performance and cutting out now is 400 odd miles!! My technician friend thinks that the ECU is on the way out but we cannot get any codes because the OBD plug is faulty (next thing on the list)
HTH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts