SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, wondering if someone can help.

Having AC problems for my 2003 saab arc.

a few months back i had that infamous ac problem where my saab's ac would not turn off (ACC). When the car ran it just blew warm air at 1 speed. Even when the car was shut off, it blower would run.

I got this problem solved last week at the shop, it ended up being the blower motor control unit resitor. I think it was part (pu2k 006962r.) (I actuly have the old part in hand.) Now I don't have that problem any more, how ever, my Saab still blows room temperature air (does not get cold and does not get warm).

I also notice on my ACC a faint orange strip about a half inch wide by inc tall kind of in the middle of my ac (ACC) display next to where it shows the bars and such. I also know that it never got a recharge since I had the car for over 5 years.

Any help would be appreciated, to fix the first problem it cost around $500

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,522 Posts

a few months back i had that infamous ac problem where my saab's ac would not turn off (ACC). When the car ran it just blew warm air at 1 speed. Even when the car was shut off, it blower would run.

I got this problem solved last week at the shop, it ended up being the blower motor control unit resitor. I think it was part (pu2k 006962r.) (I actuly have the old part in hand.) Now I don't have that problem any more, how ever, my Saab still blows room temperature air (does not get cold and does not get warm).

I also notice on my ACC a faint orange strip about a half inch wide by inc tall kind of in the middle of my ac (ACC) display next to where it shows the bars and such. I also know that it never got a recharge since I had the car for over 5 years.

The faint orange strip you're talking about, is it closer to the right side of the ACC unit? If so, that's where the front and rear defog/demist symbols show up.
If not, then it sounds like a display issue. Is the orange strip lit up?
Can you provide a picture?
Does your outside temperature display (SID) show the correct temp? (The system uses the reading of the outside temperature and ambient interior temperature in order to calculate how to warm/cool the car to the desired level you want.

If the AC unit hasn't been recharged in at least 5 years, get it checked, it could just be low/empty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for response,

To my knowledge I remember looking at it and it said 71 degrees and I hit clear and it showed 68 degrees. Just checked yesterdays weather and it shoul of been around 75-80. I should of paid more attention but this is what I remember. I am also taking the car out in an hour so I can check again.

I also remember the air not being as cold about a month before I had that other problem with the motor fan.

Edit: That orange strip is closer to the right side
Edit2: I can only see the orange strip when it starts to get dark, hard to see during the day, but can defintly see it lit up a little in the evening

·
Registered
182 Posts

$500?! The blower resistor is only about $130 and the install takes 5 mins. I had to change it out in my 04 Linear about 2 months ago.

Do you have the Dual Climate control ?

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,522 Posts
thanks for response,

To my knowledge I remember looking at it and it said 71 degrees and I hit clear and it showed 68 degrees. Just checked yesterdays weather and it shoul of been around 75-80. I should of paid more attention but this is what I remember. I am also taking the car out in an hour so I can check again.

I also remember the air not being as cold about a month before I had that other problem with the motor fan.

Edit: That orange strip is closer to the right side
Edit2: I can only see the orange strip when it starts to get dark, hard to see during the day, but can defintly see it lit up a little in the evening
Press the defrost button, either front or rear and see if the symbol shows up in that orange strip. If they show up in there, it's normal and nothing to worry about. Mine is the same way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Press the defrost button, either front or rear and see if the symbol shows up in that orange strip. If they show up in there, it's normal and nothing to worry about. Mine is the same way.
I will bring my camera when I leave in about 45 min, i won't be able to post it till I get back tommorrow though. I will try those buttons. But still will have access to these fourm from time to time.

Thanks for the help again guys.

I also I read that when ever the battery is disconnected the AC needs to be recaliibrated, is it for the 03-08 or is this just true for before 03? The battery wad discconected for a while.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,522 Posts
I haven't heard of our system needing to be calibrated, maybe someone else can chime in?

The defrost (orange strip) is generally somewhere around where I put an orange box in the attached image.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't heard of our system needing to be calibrated, maybe someone else can chime in?

The defrost (orange strip) is generally somewhere around where I put an orange box in the attached image.
Yup that is the location adn glows a faint orange, but only really to be seen when it starts to get dark, but you can see it if you look close during the day. I never noticed it before, but havent drove that car at night since last spring.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,522 Posts
Yup that is the location adn glows a faint orange, but only really to be seen when it starts to get dark, but you can see it if you look close during the day. I never noticed it before, but havent drove that car at night since last spring.
That's normal, it's just some of the back lighting for the green display area that lights up the orange area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's normal, it's just some of the back lighting for the green display area that lights up the orange area.
Great was worried at first or wondering that was an indicator for a recharge or something.

Thanks for the help everyone again, I got to take off but will check the forums out later this evening an will take some pics. I will post a photo of my arc in the gallerry too tommorrow.

I am also going to monitor the SID with the actual temperature.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Maybe you just need to be recharged (more refridgerant added to the system)?

EDIT: since it's been warm maybe the heater switch hasn't cooled down enough to actually trigger hot air to circulated, so you're really just getting the effects from the lack of cooling air.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe you just need to be recharged (more refridgerant added to the system)?

EDIT: since it's been warm maybe the heater switch hasn't cooled down enough to actually trigger hot air to circulated, so you're really just getting the effects from the lack of cooling air.
Thanks still here for about 10 min. Now if I need more refridgent, is that something that I can do harmlessly? or do I need to take it to the shop again. I am pretty technical but am no mechanic.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You can buy a do-it-yourself refrigerant kit for under $30 at most auto parts stores. Try to get one with a hose at least 18 inches long. The hard part is getting at the low pressure port in the AC system which is behind the passenger-side (US) headlight, and you may have to loosen the air cleaner to get at it. Unless you're really keen on saving a few bucks, take it to a shop and let them do it. After eight years, you deserve it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all,

Just got back sorry for delay to respond.

Few Things I noticed after driving the car 45 minutes 2x.

- The SID seems to be ok, temparture was accurate to the weathchannels temp.

-I hit the defroster for the that orange strip and it showed up (as lit up) Unfortanitly did not work to well due to the room temp air.

- Still blowing room temp air. Raising or lowering temperature does nothing, but fan speed is working and such.

Now (this is what I am affraid of) I did notice a slight smell, I also noticed this when I got the car back when AC is on. (was just thinkign it was the part breaking in or something) .The smell is hard to describe but smells somewhat like a slight hint of burnt rubber, but more in a chemical form. (So not a true burnt rubber smell from a belt going or laying wheels.) And the smell is slightly noticible. :eek:

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts