SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a solid flywheel for my TX and I haven't really been able to find any info on one for the 2.8. I tried Fidanza and Spec, but nothing is listed.

Does anyone have any information on something like this? I'll keep searching, but so far I have had no luck whatsoever.

·
Registered
581 Posts
not found any but i've heard of them being welded on other cars used for taxi / town / city use were clutch riding is common which usually destroys the damper section.

I've also seen such car owners having the face reground which should be ok as long as its not below the minimum thickness

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was afraid of. Hope there is something out there somewhere or something being developed. Don't need it yet, but when the day comes that I do, I wanna be able to upgrade. The benefit of a lighter weight flywheel would also be very welcomed. This engine is so lazy with the revs and a flywheel would probably really wake it up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know Andrew (pwntbywombat) had a custom Clutchmasters clutch and flywheel made. They should be at least able to machine one for you, but it won't be cheap.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm a member over on Pennock's Fiero Forum and there have been a number of people doing "solid" flywheels for F40 6-speed swaps (to the 60*V6).

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000143-3.html

and

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087476.html

Now, I'm assuming the pushrod GM 60*V6 and the Saab crankshaft share the same bolt pattern. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Neil
Be careful with that. The older pushrod engines are very different from the newer "high feature" engines. Not much is known about cross compatibility with Saabs because no one takes them apart. However I can tell you that for most of the gaskets and parts I order for mine, pretty much everything in the "High Feature V6" family is interchangeable with one another. IE, most of the gaskets, coil packs, sensors, etc. that I have ordered for my car were made for the 3.6 in the CTS, Malibu, Saturn Aura, etc. But then again, the old pushrod V6s are NOT in this family.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I'll probably be taking the clutchmaster route. Don't think I'll have any luck with the 60V6 route. Very familiar with the 60V6 (have a heavily modified Beretta with a 3400 swap and aluminum Fidanza flywheel with spec stage 3 clutch) and have spent plenty of time going over the Fiero forums (also have a Fiero, used to have four at the same time). Probably run through those threads again though, just to see if there is anything I missed.

Maybe I can find a cheap enough used flywheel to compare to the 60V6 flywheel and bolt pattern. Then at least I would know how likely it would be that I'd be able to use the 60V6 flywheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts