SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 900S, auto. 125K. Been running pretty well. Few days ago parked. Fwiw, it has been unusually hot from even Colorado front range. That day into upper 90s which is rare. Anyway… next day, key in ignition, crank it. Nothing. No start. Fuel pump whirring. Ran an Android/cell phone to OBD2 fault check and got back P0753. Transmission shift solenoid.

Before spiriting the vehicle off to a mechanic, recommendations on where to start, what to do? Assume I need to replace the solenoid? Failed fuse possible? What else can I do?

tx

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
P0753 won't prevent the car from starting... I would clear that code, get the car started, and see if it comes back. Check crank sensor, DIC, fuel pump... Usual suspects.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P0753 won't prevent the car from starting... I would clear that code, get the car started, and see if it comes back. Check crank sensor, DIC, fuel pump... Usual suspects.
Thank you for replying back. I cleared the code. The car would not start before, and not now.

I will learn how to 'check crank sensor', DIC... fuel pump is buzzing and fuel is being delivered. Thank you for the pointers. Am in that quandary of forever Saab owners (have had 9) who's available mechanics are many miles away, as in 80. So try to solve stuff before needing to get on a truck. I could take it to a high performance shop a few blocks away (they service for instance racers for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb) but their repairs have been extravagant.. way above what a truck and 80 miles then repair shop charges. Oh well...

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
If you have fuel, that suggests the crank sensor is working and points to maybe a failed DIC. You really need an inline spark tester for testing that, unless you have a spare DIC to test with.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have fuel, that suggests the crank sensor is working and points to maybe a failed DIC. You really need an inline spark tester for testing that, unless you have a spare DIC to test with.
Going back in history, the DIC on this 1997 failed 8ish years ago. I don't have a spare DIC (should have grabbed one off a parting out 900 last year, sigh). So will test with a inline spark tester and that would be nice if it turned out to be the DIC. Well, not nice, but nice to know and easy repair. And now that I said that, I have definitely tempted the Saab gods who will strike with lightning and make it not that. Will make efforts to appease tho.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
You can try pulling the DIC out, leave the spark plugs in, ground the threads to the engine, and crank it and look for spark from the plugs. I've always found that super clumsy and difficult to do in real life, but theoretically it's an option I suppose.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, am back. Had to break off…. placing my 92 yr old father in assisted living. Exhausting. Now back on this.

Firstly, this is a 1997 900S which is a 2.3 non turbo motor. It does not have a DIC. I just stuck a spark check tester on it. At first, nothing. After like the 5th try, the damn car started. And ran. I mean it ran for 5 minutes. I’ll be jiggered I thought. All I did was remove the plate to expose the plugs to run the tester. And it did not start which meant it did not exhibit a spark. At first.

So I let it run while I start cleaning up and kablam, it stops. Like cold. Cold cold. The ignition lights, headlamps, all that stuff on. So I try to restart it. Nada. I try off and on for a few minutes. Nothing. Getting dark to stopped.

So it is not the fuel pump (determined that from the start). Not the spark, or at least not today.

Heard the CPS mentioned before. I do not know exactly how it is supposed to work, but could it exhibit an off again, on again behavior? Replacing it an idea? Or what do I need to check further? I am going to

Asking all this as the closest Saab mechanic who still works on these is miles as in many miles away. Would rather chase this prob down than the hassle of the miles.

Thoughts, again?

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
You said that you also lost headlights etc.
So I highly suggest that you check/ replace ignition switch and ignition relay.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You said that you also lost headlights etc.
So I highly suggest that you check/ replace ignition switch and ignition relay.
Hi, tx for replying. I wasn't clear... the headlights, instrument panel, fans, all that kept going when the ignition was turned on. Headlights and everything kept going after the engine cut out. I thought about replacing the ignition but I don't think it is that, having done it before and seeing how the mechanism works.
So am back to the CPS?? Not having much experience with it... is it capable of cutting out in a blink? I did find that there was no spark after the car was running for a few minutes, which means the fuel pump was A-ok. And no DIC. So leaves... ??? A sensor that cuts out, what? Can the CPS do that? Hey all, I am trying to learn. Am sure if I spirit the car to the closest mechanic, a fur distance, he would diagnose it in a moment. I am going to to reseat all connections... logical. But it has to be a sensor, I think.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
CPS can just suddenly quit, and they are more prone to issues when they get hot, so it seems likely. I imagine the cam sensor in the distributor would be similar, but I'd think that would set a CEL as it failed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CPS can just suddenly quit, and they are more prone to issues when they get hot, so it seems likely. I imagine the cam sensor in the distributor would be similar, but I'd think that would set a CEL as it failed.
Tx for hanging in the replies. On the original post, it showed a OBD2 fault check and got back P0753. Transmission shift solenoid. Any thought on that info as relates to this? I will give me one go around on this then stop posting.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Should be unrelated. There's nothing in the transmission that could prevent the car from starting. If it doesn't crank then there's an angle, but crank no start is fuel injection.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CPS. It was the CPS. I have been intensely distracted caring for my pop and heading into assisted living. Chasing the OBD2 fault check pointed to other things as the thread indicates. But ordered a CPS a couple days ago, switched it out, car started in less than 1/2 a second. Tooled around for a bit. Ran a-ok. Relieved. I did not want to be driving around my wife's 9-3, using it as a truck for moving my father.

So anywayzzz... CPS. Will get to the motor mounts and other cosmetic things shortly. And will pester the forum about how to replace or repair what I gather is a circuit board that control the instrument cluster. It failed awhile ago and occasionally lights up. It appears to be temperature driven. Another post...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts