SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody i am new here, and a Month ago i purchased my first car a Beautiful 1990 Saab 900S 5 speed Manual from my Brother with 87, 000 Miles on it. the only thig Wrong was the Exaust system was nonexiastant it had Rusted out and fallen off all the way up to right before the Catalytic converter.

so my brother and i bought a stock exaust system for my car and installed it no Problems. so after we did this i took it outside and drove around for a few minutes making sure it was ok and it ran Fine. problem was it had been raining for about 5 hours and ALL the streets were Flooded.

on my dirve home i had no choice to go through an extremely Large puddle prolly 12-14 Inches Deep. i brought it down to about 5 miles per hour and drove through, making sure i kept the rpm's above 3,000 so no water got up my exaust. after i got through the Puddle it ran fine for about 20 Seconds. then it started to run Really rough. and stalled. so i started it back up and i had to constantly fluff the gas, or else it would stall or sit at 500 RPm and dies after about 5 seconds

took it back to my shop and took out the aitfilter, and it was dry, took out Spark plugs and they were dry and only 2,000 Miles old. that was a week ago to this Day. i went and started it up today and it still runs rough, but if you goose it it will stay alive, so i took it for a drive down some sidestreets. it will accelerate fine up to 2,500 RPM then it will hesitate and not go faster, but when i shift and it drops below 2500, it acelerates, and the fastest i can get my car to go is about 45 - 50 in 4th havnt tried to go faster. its as if it is hitting some Restriction at 2,500 rpm. and at a stop it takes a minute or two to get it to go ABove 2500 Rpm. i dont know if i electrically Shorted something while driving through this mutant puddle or what. would it be electrical or like fuel Management?i have no idea whats wrong and i need help fast, anything and i mean ANYthing tips etc would be GREAT thanks so much Guys.

-Joe

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
best advice would be to lift the hood, open the doors in a nice warm dry place and let the car get some air. check all you spark plug wires to make sure no moisture got in there. i've washed engines before and experinced similar issues. i washed my t16 4 door engine once and the same thing you described happened. left the car overnight with the hood up and it ran fine in the morning. water gets its way in all sorts of places. i wouldn't worry about it too much, it is a good sign that it will crank, run somewhat.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I used to get those kind of problems every time I took mine through the carwash... drive out coughing and spluttering down the road. Had to keep the rev's up to just to keep her going! As ejenner suggests, turns out I had a loose lower clip on the distributer cap. When the machine sprayed up underneath the car, water was getting in and making it all go wrong!

Dry it out, and see if you can find anywhere where water could be getting in. Those symptoms are certainly a water meets ignition problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you so Much Fellas, i think i will look into my Distributor Cap where Exactly IS it located?. and i am tempted to change my spark plug wires anyways so....

thanks again
Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts