SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently got my rear rotors replaced and almost immediately the brake hats rusted up pretty badly. Any suggestions as to products/techniques to get rid of that rust and make my car pretty again?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Paint............:confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Maverickvii said:
I like the look Chris. Did you just mask off the rotor or did you have to take off the caliper, rotor and hat first?
Neither.............just paint it as it is and let the pad clean it all up :p

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Neither.............just paint it as it is and let the pad clean it all up :p
That's a terrrible idea. :roll:

·
Registered
263 Posts
what i did with my last car was clean it up good and clear coat the area of the rotor where the pad doesnt touch with high temp clear coat...it worked good. i also did it on my aeros welds on the exhaust...everything is all rust free still...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Raven18940 said:
Well I didnt exactly paint the whole disc :lol:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Raven18940 said:
Do you think it could really have an effect on the brake pads to have a little paint come off one them?

I would be really interested to know.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It's gonna be a few specs of overspray that the pads will remove without trouble. I'm not saying go crazy and paint the whole thing but think about how much debris the pads have to remove during normal everyday use that have been picked up by the discs. Far more than a few microns deep of paint I would assume.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did exactly as Chris did and it seems to have worked great. The little bits of over spray disappeared after my first drive and I certainly don't think that the pads were ill affected.
I did wipe off as much overspray as possible from the rotors with a rag after each coat.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Well done Mav ;)

Dont forget to put some pictures up :cool:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a low quality pic of the painted hat. I dont' have a before shot but the whole brake hat was completely covered in rust so you can see that this is a big improvement!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts