SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I've seen the recent Carlson restoration in progress and after noticing a few rust spots on my own Saab ... I'm terrified. It is very obvious that C900’s are becoming more endangered each day and that this is a special car worth hanging on to.
My question is once I’ve spotted a few places where surface rust has started, what’s the best way to keep it from growing and what are some usual areas to look at that I may have missed. That is until I get the time and money to do a complete resto :D
My particular vehicle was from a part of the states where cars are generally in good condition to begin with. They don’t have snow, and more importantly they don’t use salt on their roads. The few spots I’ve noticed are:

The outside edges of the doors particularly where the seams come together

The edge of the bonnet where the “SAAB” badge is placed

The parts of the front unit-body looking from the top, just to the outside of the skid plate where it looks as if there are a couple of pieces of square stock welded in for support. Most is surface rust. I was thinking of putting grease on the affected areas for the time being?

Haven’t pulled the spoiler of the tail lights out yet.

Thanx

·
Registered
858 Posts
Try something called POR15. A self leveling, epoxy, that when hardens it is sandable. Better than bondo, almost as good as MarineTex. This stuff sets up with some surface prep. A friend uses this to fix up older rusted out cars where welding SMALL areas is difficult to impossible.

pierre

·
Registered
645 Posts
Have a search in the 99 forum for posts by Dougsaab and Vikingspirit they've both covered alot of ground in rust prevention, using por15 and i think Vikingspirit uses Bilt Hamber stuff which also has a good reputation.

·
Registered
73 Posts
if u don't want to repair the rust but just want to keep on top of it so it does grow, i've always used Fish Oil, u should be able to get it from the hardware, like bunnings. it reeks, but works well and will stop it from growing and if you want to get rid of it just polish it off or use presol or something along those lines.
i've got rust just under my whaletail so i'm gonna have to take it off and fix it up but i'll wait till summer.

best of luck

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
len88 said:
if u don't want to repair the rust but just want to keep on top of it so it does grow, i've always used Fish Oil, u should be able to get it from the hardware, like bunnings. it reeks, but works well and will stop it from growing and if you want to get rid of it just polish it off or use presol or something along those lines.
i've got rust just under my whaletail so i'm gonna have to take it off and fix it up but i'll wait till summer.

best of luck
A less stinky alternative is just use some old engine oil...works awsome!

I oil my door bottoms, door hinge areas, down the inside joint of my fender to wheel arch, drip all over the bonnet eges, put some around all the little screwes in the engine bay (back them off, add some oil, tighten them). Keeps stuff rust free! Even if there is some rust, toothbrush some oil on it and scrub it some...it will remove the loose stuff and keep it oiled. SOmetimes oil when left for long enough will remove the corrosion with some elbow grease and keep it away.

Also, back off your mud flap mounts and put oil in there. Take off your wheel arch lip covers and clean that up. Put new grease/oil inside the cover and put them back on. I also take the inside door skins off and pour oil into the bottom of the door and let it drain out. I rub the inside of the door with oil to keep thoes "spot" from developing. Take out your carpeting in the boot area and pour oil down into the base so that it give that darn corner some protection.

Oil keeps the water away from collecting and keeps rust from forming!

·
Registered
310 Posts
i would definitely use POR15 over oil.

far far less mess.

oil + dirt = added weight = performance loss ;) :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts