·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
iskandar said:
what is the best way to tackle this type of rust.its the rim around the sunroof.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/issy1978/IMGP0947.jpg

and the bubble around the rear spoiler

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/issy1978/IMGP0945.jpg

also the bottom of the door has some as well..

is there a product i can use to coat the rust until i get it worked on so it wont spread.
You need to remove all of the bubbling paint to expose the rust underneath, then see how far it goes. If its only surface rust (unlikely given the extent though), you can remove as much of the loose/flaking paint and rust as possible and treat the area with a good rust converter product as an initial short-term protection.

It's vital to get all the loose/flaking material away so the rust converter has a good solid surface to work on. If you find the rust goes through the sheet metal it'll need a lot more attention to see how decayed the metal is inside as well as out. Treating just the outside surface decay if it's gone beyond just the outside surface will only delay the rust coming back (via the inside space/cavity).

Make sure that you don't just remove the loose/flaking paint you can see initially as rust progresses between the paint and metal layers so the paint will probably release from the surface some distance beyond where the existing flaking can be seen. Don't ignore that area since it'll rust again if not taken care of at the same time as the rusted area that's already visible.

Rust converter will not provide long-term protection and the area needs to be properly painted. There are plenty of rust-preventing paint products around and if you're very lucky, there may be a stock paint of that type that's a very close colour match. The result will never be as good as factory-original paint was at the time the car was made, but treating rust sooner rather than later will give you a better chance of slowing it down.

The biggest issue with that rust near the spoiler will be rust that's forming under the rubber of the spoiler, since water will be trapped there and that will exacerbate any rust formed in any tiny chips or cracks of the paintwork. Once the paint starts to come away from the metal surface underneath that also traps moisture and exposure to air causes the iron in the steel to oxidise with water being the catalyst.

The rust at the bottom of the doors means the drain holes are or probably have been in the past, blocked. Also it'd pay to take off the door interiors to look at the condition of the mechanisms and also assess how badly water-damaged the interior trim is along with seeing if there is a moisture barrier.

Craig.

·
Registered
888 Posts
iskander, I don't want to freighten you, but take a look at the thread about my Carlsson (link below). If you don't treat rust at the 1st oportunity then yours could look like mine!

Dan.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Dans_t16s said:
iskander, I don't want to freighten you, but take a look at the thread about my Carlsson (link below). If you don't treat rust at the 1st oportunity then yours could look like mine!

Dan.
Does your Carlsson have any rust in the sills at all?

Craig.

·
Registered
888 Posts
c900 said:
Does your Carlsson have any rust in the sills at all?

Craig.
The sills are all good (as is the rest of the floorpan), the doors have gone at the lower edge but sills look good.
If the sills had gone as well then the car would have been broken for spares. As it is the car looks a lot worse than it is as almost all the rust is easily repairable - excepting the corrosion at the base of the windscreen.

Dan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts