SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I used some of that Christmas money to purchase some por15 and other random car related things. I spent the later part of the day chasing rust gremlins down and making sure they don't reappear. My 900 was originally based in a nice warm area where they don't have snow or more importantly salt. Here in Michigan that just isn't so. Point being the rust isn't that bad and I'm almost embarrassed to post these pictars after seeing some of the cancer cases you all have dealt with. I just took it uponst myself to keep the cancer from spreading and getting worse. These are the before pictars and I will have the after pictars posted tomorrow.

Battery bracket holder thingy after prep and at the start of treatment.

Boot area, if you look hard you can see the tumors.

Underneat the rear seat, drivers side.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Passengers side of the bonnent edge by the saab badge

Passengers side Shock Tower with small tumors caught early.

Area where the battery sits.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
not so much the top of the towers I'd worry about - never more than superficial surface rust.

Bottoms usually rot out near the driveshafts - especially on turbos....

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
aznsaab said:
Area where the battery sits.

You need ot get in that bttom left hand corner area and up and around all the driveshaft tunnel area so this does not happen:

note the lack of rust on any other part of the metal. THis car has never seen salt. Stupid leaky battery. CLean up the inner driveshaft tunnel areas too and put lots of oil and grese in there to keep things in check.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip, I've got my eye on the drive shaft tunnels as I have heard so much about them, I've got that wheel off right now inspecting everything since I found another gremlin on the part just behind and below the wheel well

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
aznsaab said:
Passengers side of the bonnent edge by the saab badge
I hate to say this, but I don't think you're going to catch that bit that way.

It's double-skinned, and the rot's coming through from between the two skins. You might be able to slow it down by filling the gap between the skins with wax, but you ain't going to stop it now...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's what I was thinking as well. I noticed it was double skinned and wondered how bad it was in between. I just want to keep everything in as good of condition as possible until after I get out of college. Than I can park it and do a proper restore.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
aznsaab said:
that's what I was thinking as well. I noticed it was double skinned and wondered how bad it was in between. I just want to keep everything in as good of condition as possible until after I get out of college. Than I can park it and do a proper restore.
The outer skin on mine is far worse in those same places than that inner skin is...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts