SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a little paint bubbling around the windsheild seal,took it out and holy sh!+. I don't think it rusted past window into cabin and it doesn't leak but my windsheild is cracked and now I'm worried about replacing. It's worse under the wipers.Anyone else experience this, Salt roads in Vt. is to blame I think.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used to have a 95 CDE that I bought in 1999 with 91,000 miles on it. About a month after I bought it I noticed the paint bubbling around the bottom of the driver's A-pillar and half way across the bottom of the windshield. I assumed the previous owner had replaced the windshield and the installer somehow messed up causing the rust.
I traded the car in for a 9-5 soon thereafter so I don't know how easy it would be to fix.

Mike

·
Banned
637 Posts
Sadly Rust on or around a Windshield is a Rascal to fix.. likely one of the harder rust patch jobs.
Suggest paying for a competent Bodyman to tackle this one if you have any delusions of keeping the car.. If selling it.. it may not be worth the cost to repair, given the abysmally low resale value of a well used Saab.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ah.

Not sure I wanted to hear that! :evil: I've cracked my windscreen/shield and while measuring the crack to see if it will pass our annual inspection test, the MoT (which it won't), I too noticed the rust around the base of the A-pillar :cry: .

I assume it's a poorly fitted seal by a previous windscreen/shield fitter.

Let's hope the old girl can be saved because aside from that rust I've got a 205,000 mile car in perfect condition!

Tell us how you get on with yours, Cort ;)

absgt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The more I cleaned it up the more I realized that the rust is confined to the edge of windshield and does not go under the glass. I sanded down to bare metal,primed with a rust killer and added a rust preventative paint,then added silicon sealant. You would have to look closely to see it since most is covered by seal and plastic cover under wipers. The car is 10 y/o and the rust was shocking but not terrible,I've seen worse on my '78 99t so I figure this should work for the next few years. I would prefer to pull the windshield out myself and fix it all up and then put in a new window. Is this in any way a do-it-yourself job?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Isn't rust, or lack of it, one of the reasons we buy our SAAB's? It is one of the important factors for me anyway. I am reasonably handy. I can deal with all sorts of mechanical issues and some electrical issues.

Rust? No. I can't deal with it.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I think you will find there are lots of crap quality windsheild installers out there, and this is a common car, not Saab problem.

Someone had a good write-up about fixing this, don't know where I saw it though. It is not easy but can be done if the car is in good shape.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes I read probably the same one somewhere but I too am having some memory issues...:roll:

I'm looking at the moment for a local bodywork guy I can trust to do any treatment/cutting & welding necessary. Then I'll call the insurance company and have them send their mobile man out to the bodywork shop and remove the screen. Hopefully between the two of them they'll find it's not too bad...if not, the windscreen guy can leave and the repair work can begin!

I seem to remember the other story I read somewhere the chap had something like £800 of welding to be done, I'm just on my knees praying I don't have that problem!

I hope it doesn't take too long. Much as I love my "other" car, a Peugeot 205 GTi, it just doesn't compare to the 9000 :cheesy:

absgt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts