SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im running rich and its fowling my spark plugs. I put a chip in from Swedish Dynamics and was wondering if I have to send it back because it sucks, or is there a way that i can lean my engine out. I also have 32lb injectors, 3 bar fpr, fmic, red apc, intake, 2.5" exhaust no cat or muffler, just a glass pack.

Also how would I install a air/fuel ratio gauge? To check what im actually at?

Thanks in advance

Pete

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did you set the ohms reading on the AMM?

I had a JSP chip that had to be set to 170 ohm; normal is 340 ohm(?). Got another chip and set it using voltage readings from the O2 sensor. Dead on pretty much now.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No i didn't set the ohm's how do i do that?I have the multi meter and all that stuff but what am i setting to match what?

I just did some more research and apparently i need to install a wideband o2 sensor. Can I use the wideband if I don't have megasq\uirt? And will it screw anything up if i do?

Bobbo, hows the intercooler treating you?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
a wideband o2 sensor will not work with a stock ECU. narrowbands (stock ones) work at 1 volt, widebands work at 3 or 5 volts IIRC...
however, you can still fit an use it. leave the stock 02 sensor as is, and weld another bung in the exhaust for the wideband 02 sensor, then connect it straight to an AFR gauge

·
Registered
55 Posts
a wideband o2 sensor will not work with a stock ECU. narrowbands (stock ones) work at 1 volt, widebands work at 3 or 5 volts IIRC...
however, you can still fit an use it. leave the stock 02 sensor as is, and weld another bung in the exhaust for the wideband 02 sensor, then connect it straight to an AFR gauge
Some wideband sets - like Innovate LC-1 - have analog outputs that can be programmed to give also 0-1 volts if needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks like my previous message didn't come through... Yes, they say that it can be used in place of a narrowband. But I just learned that at least in the case of Lucas you can not replace the original narrowband because Lucas senses varying resistance, not voltage like 99% (according to Innovate) of other systems do. :(

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so i need to use a wideband in addition to my stock O2 sensor. Do i just run a 12v power supply to it? Or how do i wire it up so it works?
I will figure out how to install at a later date and time.

But my question I really need to know is how do I lean out my engine? Bobbo had said I need to adjust the OHMS on the AMM and I have no idea how to do that, and my searches are yielding nothing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check the resistance between #3 and 6 contacts. The SD chip may have a different setting but I had to tune mine to about 170-200 ohm resistance for the car to idle near normal. For the stock chip that value is about 380 ohm.

Your 900 might have the adjuster screw on the AMM plugged with glue/whatever; just scrape it off.

The last time I did this I also checked the settiings on the O2 sensor; I adjusted the AMM until it was fluttering around .5 volt. It's a 3 wire sensor so pull the plug that is the single wire and connect the voltmeter to that and the socket it plugs into. We pretty much have the same setup and I haven't needed a wideband sensor yet, though I would like to have on myself.

BTW the FMIC has worked like a charm! I might have to turn it around and put a screen over it as it's gotten debris that have flattened some of the cooling fins, but the boost never backs down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.