SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have owned a 2003 Saab 9-3 linear for about a year now and have been working out problems as they come but I am finally stumped. I was getting the well known ECM failure code so I had the ECU replaced and married by Country Imports with a ECU that was out of a heavily modfied 9-3 linear. This is where I started having problems. My car started out boosting all the way up to 14 psi with the new ECU (I've never been above 10 on the old one and yes I have an aftermarket boost gauge.) Despite this much boost my car felt very sluggish and was running lean acourding to my shortband Fuel/air guage. The problem remained even after the 50 mile car ride home. After driving for a day the problems grew. I now have a very bad misfire and a PO171 code. which is a running lean code.

I did some diag. work. The misfire code was PO304 so I switched the 3 and 4 cylinder coils and the misfire code switched to cylinder 3 so I have ordered 4 new coils. (That's $400 :evil: ) I have also replaced the spark plugs with NGK BCPR7ES gapped at .9mm thinking that would help. The coils will not be here until this weekend but I'm sure that will fix my misfire problem.

My major question is: Did my engine running so lean cause my coil to go bad? and also How do I go about diagnosing my running lean problem. After some research I've found that my next plan of action should be to clean the MAF but my car did not have any of these problems with the old ECU. Another idea I had was maybe the donor car had high flow injectors that I need?

Another question: The new/used ECU may have had a tune on it but wouldn't that have been reset to factory once it was married to my car by the tech 2 tool?

Any help and advice would really help me out. I will update any news this weekend when I get my new coils in my car. Thanks for reading! ;ol;

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Good call on the coils. You may still have a vacuum leak somewhere. I believe the tune carried thru despite the new marriage. Maybe the tune is just too aggressive for your current setup. Also check your cat converter, running lean can trash one pretty quick and cause valve / cylinder damage. I would also check your cylinder compression PSI values.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding so quickly!!
I'll look for a vacuum leak tomorrow, any specific way I can check this?
also, how can i check my converter? I work in a shop so I'll quick to a compression test on my car asap. Thanks again for your help! any other advice would be appreciated! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: So i replaced my coil that was going bad and that seemed to fix the misfire. But I still am running lean when driving under 3000rpm and making boost. I am going to Country Imports Saab to have my ECU set back to factory in case their are any tunes on it from the previous car. After driving with the new coil my car has 2 new pending codes. P0103 (Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input) and a P01343 which is a powertrain code. I have no idea where these came from but I'm really confused and could use help. Thanks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Another question: The new/used ECU may have had a tune on it but wouldn't that have been reset to factory once it was married to my car by the tech 2 tool?
No. Just marrying the ECU doesn't change the "tune". It just tells the rest of the systems in the car that it's OK to talk to the new guy.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I bet the previous owner was running bigger injectors. Is the ecu signed in any way? Some tuners mark the ecu's tuned by them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Markings on the ECU. Tomorrow I am going to drive up to Country Imports Saab to have them reset the ECU to factory running tune to see if that clears everything up. Thanks I'll update soon!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No luck with Country Imports. About a week ago I called and asked if it was possible for them to reset my ECU to it's factory settings and they said that they could do it with their tech2. This morning when I called to set up an appointment they told me that it would need to be done by a tuner not a tech2. ;oops: Now I'm emailing brew city boost to see if they'll do it for me. Hopefully for less than $300.

·
Registered
771 Posts
No luck with Country Imports. About a week ago I called and asked if it was possible for them to reset my ECU to it's factory settings and they said that they could do it with their tech2. This morning when I called to set up an appointment they told me that it would need to be done by a tuner not a tech2. ;oops: Now I'm emailing brew city boost to see if they'll do it for me. Hopefully for less than $300.
They can reflash your ECU back to stock and at probably much less than $300. As a matter of fact, you can get a used stock ECU for around $100. Check some part-outs, ebay, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts