SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running about 0.9 bar of boost in my T16, is it safe to run this boost without modifying the ECU?

The car is a 1990 T16 with an IC from a 9000 and open air filter.

·
Banned
637 Posts
the actuial boost number (IF accurate:) is on the upper edge of the fueling mappping. But I genuinely doubt you are actually getting that high .. perhaps a momentary spike but 'holding' that level is another animal altogether....without APC mods Additional ignition retard and strengthening of the wasgate it unlikely to get that high.
OEM fueling is adequate up to 14/15 psi and HOLDING.. yer engine's safe .

More importantly your Transmission will not long tolerate 12 psi.. period. and even then you will need to drive like an old woman to avoid bursting it.. Kinda takes the 'sport' right out of the 'extra' .. 5hp per additional Psi over OEM by the way.. :) power.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Basre said:
More importantly your Transmission will not long tolerate 12 psi.. period. and even then you will need to drive like an old woman to avoid bursting it.. Kinda takes the 'sport' right out of the 'extra' .. 5hp per additional Psi over OEM by the way.. :) power.
Factory boost is 11psi for 160hp, so tou're saying 1 psi more will shatter trannsmision? The last cars had even more hp with special apc with 185hp. So either they make more than 12psi or little trolls sit at axles giving extra push when they hear motor revs.

Lo siento pero tu estás loco y no tiene los hechos.

Basre dont talk out of both sides of your mouth, giving advise on one mesage about how to make more boost, then on this one telling someone that any extra boost weill 'burst' his tran. Dont be such alarmist. everyone knows saab tran is not too strong. But most tran die NOT from broken gears but bearing failuyre.
Alos, max boost is not at end of maps, how coulls it be on saab with 250hp and saab stock ecu??

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I was running 15Psi stock and thats a walk in the park for the gear box, 20Psi and now your talking trouble, but there are people on this forum running 25Psi and 250 HP at the flywheel and the gear box takes it.

I only want to run around 200Hp at the fly wheel and not use a ton opf fuel in the process, i believe once everything is in sync and lubed the 900 STOCK can take 1 bar all day long with little trouble if any.

The Saab has been over build and the APC protection is rather harsh but i understand why they last so long now as the engine can do so much more.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hmmm...I have trouble correlating boost and power and hardware longevity. You can run 35psi if you want, and have no detonation - if you retard the timing so much that the motor just doesn't make power. The car will be okay, but you won't really be going anywhere quick - but damn, that boost gauge swinging all the way clockwise will look cool! :)

Also, 15psi is quite a bit different with a stock turbo than, say, a dual ball bearing GT series with a larger compressor wheel and housing. The former is decent, but the latter has much more rock n roll.

I don't think 15psi with a mostly stock car, albeit with the mentioned mods, will be any trouble. I'd play with the timing a bit, try to optimize the boost retard. If that's enough for you, then drive it and be happy. If at a later point you want more (and inevitably, this happens) then you might wish to consider some more serious modifications to the engine management systems.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Vince T said:
You can run 35psi if you want, and have no detonation - if you retard the timing so much that the motor just doesn't make power.:).
If you retard the distributor vacuum with a mod will the car have worse MPG on normal driving? as in less vacuum on idle?

Vince T said:
Also, 15psi is quite a bit different with a stock turbo than,

I don't think 15psi with a mostly stock car, albeit with the mentioned mods, will be any trouble. I'd play with the timing a bit, try to optimize the boost retard.

I think your on the money there, it sounds right, my timing is way way off right now and the result is poor power and poor MPG, a simple things makes a huge difference.

Estoy riendo, usted pienso que él es un loco:) Él está intentando asustar al nuevo miembro para ningunos buena razón.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah man, I thought they spoke English in Scotland... ;) Figured the English have been keeping the Scots and Welsh under their thumbs for so long, the lingo would all be English by now! :) Had to go to babelfish to see what it all meant!

Anyway, re: timing and mileage - I'm not sure of their relationship, but I'm sure that if you are out of tune, you will be just wasting gasoline - sorry - petrol.

Amusing story about mileage - I got like a 60% improvement in mileage over my initial tune when I minimized my fuel values at high vacuum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts